Annual squawks & negotiation ettiquette

AlexLev

19 hours ago, steingar said:

Removing and instilling the turn coordinator is the work of minutes.  Did one on my old Cherokee, it took about t5 minutes, most of which was undoing all the screws in the panel.

Yes 20 mins.  3 screws it drops from the bottom.  

If it's someone you like and trust I'd just pay the bill.  I think of the craftsmen (and women) are probably better at their art than at justifying the amount of time they spent on which specific part of the project.  I've always been of the opinion that if I convince my guy to cut this bill he'd just make it up next time.  I don't do very much owner-assisted work so I'm pretty much signing up for the bill...but I trust my guy 100%.   -Kris

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Kris_Adams said:

If it's someone you like and trust I'd just pay the bill.  I think of the craftsmen (and women) are probably better at their art than at justifying the amount of time they spent on which specific part of the project.  I've always been of the opinion that if I convince my guy to cut this bill he'd just make it up next time.  I don't do very much owner-assisted work so I'm pretty much signing up for the bill...but I trust my guy 100%.   -Kris

Yeah, in retrospect I should have waited a little and maybe just approved the quote and had them start the work. 

Yesterday, I called and asked why 3.5 hours for the turn coordinator removal & reinstall. Asked if there was some increased complexity that I was not aware of that made it more difficult since a previous shop quoted me 1 hour to do the same thing. She said she would check with the mechanic and get back to me, but I've yet to hear back.

I think it's a reasonable question, TBH and I hope it doesn't offend them too much.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AlexLev said:

Yeah, in retrospect I should have waited a little and maybe just approved the quote and had them start the work. 

Yesterday, I called and asked why 3.5 hours for the turn coordinator removal & reinstall. Asked if there was some increased complexity that I was not aware of that made it more difficult since a previous shop quoted me 1 hour to do the same thing. She said she would check with the mechanic and get back to me, but I've yet to hear back.

I think it's a reasonable question, TBH and I hope it doesn't offend them too much.

And if it offended them, the 0.25 hours become 0.5 hours. It's all about trust...

• Like 1

Just got my airplane back from annual last month.  $12,200.  Second annual in 3 years over $10k (different shops) and I think my 68F is very well maintained.  This year $5,500 was prop overhaul to include work on some corrosion they found inside the hub.  Most of the rest of the $7k (at least over the $2k flat annual) was stuff I asked him to work- new alternator, sand and paint minor surface corrosion areas, rebuilt hydraulic parking brake, etc.  when I looked at the bill, I was surprised, but when I went through it, I know they spent more time on it than they charged, and there are some cosmetic things they did without charging-cleaned/painted all the wheels, removed/new wing walk, etc.  I trust them 100% mechanically and they always make me feel good even if it’s pricey. The right mechanic is like finding gold. Here’s to a flat rate annual next year!!