insurance issues after not at fault "partial" gear up landing

rbridges

just asking for a friend (seriously, lol).  He had a cessna 210, and after owning it for a few months, the front tire failed to come down for a landing.  I'm not too familiar with the system, but in a nutshell, they knew it wasn't dropping.  The backup system didn't work.  The two mains worked, and they landed a few times on the mains to bounce the plane, hoping it would knock something loose.  Unfortunately, no luck.  Third landing they decided to let the nose drop to the runway.  It was on video that the two mains engaged, and the front tire stayed retracted.

The plane is totaled, and he is trying to move on to another plane.  He found an arrow nearby but can't find an insurance company that will cover him.  Does that sound right?  I can't see any way that it's the pilot's fault.  It clearly sounds like a mechanical failure.  

Just wondering if that sounds right and/or if there is anything he can do to help his situation.

• rbridges changed the title to insurance issues after not at fault "partial" gear up landing

NO

I had an engine failure which resulted in an off airport landing.  No structural damage but the company hired to retrieve  the airplane by the insurance company finished it off.  I was with Avemco then and ask the effects on my insurance due to the total loss.  Avemco told me that I would only lose my no claims discount of 5% for 1 year.  That was all.  Except for collecting for my loss.  Collecting was a pain, insurance investigation, faa investigation and 4 months to collect.

My only experience with any insurance claim except medical.

Eddie

• Like 1

Had an off-airport landing in the trees totaling my 172 and the insurance paid within a month. I had a new plane and was insured in it within 3 months. Now, that was about 15 years ago, but I have been using the same broker who insured me since then and never a question of being able to get insurance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldguy said:

Had an off-airport landing in the trees totaling my 172 and the insurance paid within a month. I had a new plane and was insured in it within 3 months. Now, that was about 15 years ago, but I have been using the same broker who insured me since then and never a question of being able to get insurance.

Same experience, except my M20E was totaled in a soybean field in 2012.  AOPAIA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rbridges said:

just asking for a friend (seriously, lol).  He had a cessna 210, and after owning it for a few months, the front tire failed to come down for a landing.  I'm not too familiar with the system, but in a nutshell, they knew it wasn't dropping.  The backup system didn't work.  The two mains worked, and they landed a few times on the mains to bounce the plane, hoping it would knock something loose.  Unfortunately, no luck.  Third landing they decided to let the nose drop to the runway.  It was on video that the two mains engaged, and the front tire stayed retracted.

The plane is totaled, and he is trying to move on to another plane.  He found an arrow nearby but can't find an insurance company that will cover him.  Does that sound right?  I can't see any way that it's the pilot's fault.  It clearly sounds like a mechanical failure.  

Just wondering if that sounds right and/or if there is anything he can do to help his situation.

A lot of factors at play.  It might not be the loss alone.  The loss combined with low pilot experience, pilot age, or several other factors could be causing his issue.

• Like 2

After the gear collapsed on my C during taxi (not my fault) and resulted in a total loss, could not get insurance with anyone except my original broker, Starr.  My rates have about doubled..and I was told I should expect that for 3 to 5 years after my claim.  

34 minutes ago, jasona900 said:

After the gear collapsed on my C during taxi (not my fault) and resulted in a total loss, could not get insurance with anyone except my original broker, Starr.  My rates have about doubled..and I was told I should expect that for 3 to 5 years after my claim.  

Last year my partner had an incident with the plane. When it came time for renewal, Starr wanted 5x the previous amount. No other carrier would touch us other than AVEMCO, who charged us 3x our previous premium. It seems that when these things happen, you have to assume the position.

After my total loss, also deemed no fault of mine, I had some issues. Not from the carrier but from my Broker.  Long story but I switched to Falcon now and happy with them.  

I was with Global for my total loss and they are the only ones that will carry me now.  My rates went up considerably.

Before my accident I was named on a half dozen other policy’s but that all came to an end when it was time for renewals.  Either I couldn’t be insured or the rates went up 5X to keep me on. 

I can’t say enough good things about how Global treated me during my claim. 

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

I should have said that Starr was also great to work with. They never questioned a thing and paid the claim in full.

Same here... The customer service was awesome.  Just before the incident, I installed a PowerFlow exhaust.  Didn't tell the insurance company about it until after the gear collapse.  They actually reimbursed me for about 90% the cost of the PFS, as they said it raised the value of the airplane.  At cost of only $25.00 to me!  That was an unexpected surprise.

BTW, did they give you an idea on when your rates will come back down to the previous claim rate?  Just want to compare notes..

3 minutes ago, jasona900 said:

BTW, did they give you an idea on when your rates will come back down to the previous claim rate?  Just want to compare notes..

The ubiquitous five years. However, they did say that should the partner who incurred the loss leave the partnership, rates will return to normal.

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

The ubiquitous five years. However, they did say that should the partner who incurred the loss leave the partnership, rates will return to normal.

That is interesting that if the partner leaves, the rates return to normal.  I assume the insurance company raised your rates to recover from some of their loss due to the payout, just as they did for me.  I do not understand what difference it would make if the partner left or not... the payout has already occurred.    Good info to know though.