What to do when the planes in the shop

McMooney

Just now, McMooney said:

Birdy is in the shop for a few weeks getting an upgrade,  what to do?

Seriously, she's been away about two days now and i'm already going thru withdrawal 8(

didn't realize I was so attached to her

Suffer

11 minutes ago, McMooney said:

Birdy is in the shop for a few weeks getting an upgrade,  what to do?

Seriously, she's been away about two days now and i'm already going thru withdrawal 8(

didn't realize I was so attached to her

Be strong.....I've been told that looking at other similar beauties on the internet-watching them gracefully move about is a form of cheating. But I don't think any of us will tell-we're all guilty.

For shop time and bad weather (apparently the weather Gods have decided to send flyable weather Mon-Fri and crappy stuff during the weekend!) I have reactivated my flight simulator:

1) Upgraded to XPlane 11

2) Reenabled my Pilotedge account

3) Bought a Mooney M20J from Carenado (close enough to my "F")

4) Wired all together and ready to fly!

There are a few more details (glad to share if anyone is interested...) but this is the high level list. Pretty cheap even if you want to start from scratch!!! (guestimate <$700)...

Remember that my goal is not to play and fly but to fly and keep proficiency with IFR plates and radio communication...

3 hours ago, steingar said:

Mine was in the shop long enough for me to learn to decorate cakes.  Dunno why I started, but the cakes are yummy.  Look kinda nice too.

nothing on this planet will be in a shop long enough for me to learn to cook.

• Like 2

I can tell you what not to do....... spend your free time that you would be flying buying a bunch of stuff for the plane,  haha  I have a problem.   

Seriously though in the past I have gotten my seaplane rating, flown aerobatics or done some simulator work when the plane has been down.... Or if you don’t want to have FUN you could clean out the hangar while it’s empty!   My vote is to go do some aerobatics in a super D!

On 12/5/2018 at 9:36 AM, Culver LFA said:

Start putting the money you are currently saving by not flying in a piggy bank for the next time it goes in the shop...

Can’t say that I have found the time my plane spends in the shop to be a net positive for my wallet.  

My plane is also in the shop for a few upgrades.  To pass the time I have decided to work on the upholstery. Instead of paying large amounts to an “aviation” specific shop I am going with a local guy who mostly does classic cars.  Figuring out what I want and making sure I understand and will have the burn certs all sorted seems to pass a lot of time.  Good Luck in your wait. 

well since I don't have my plane, it's raining anyway.  guess i'll start thinking about my next upgrade.

what do you guys think,

Jose's Monroy Tanks ( think he'll give me a discount? 8) 

Electro Aire Ignition?  

Speed Mods?  

I'm thinking the tanks will give me the best bang for the buck

Edited by McMooney
not finished