Slide in KX155 replacement

vorlon1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

Not necessarily available. How can they sell a "pre-certified version"?

1971369348_ScreenShot2019-01-14at4_46_13PM.thumb.png.87fde639e044bd7799266d24521a237c.png

For experimentals?   Plenty of them out there.

The UI on my MX170C isn't all that hot, either, so it's not their strong suit.   It's a nice radio, though, and has been very reliable.   I'm much happier with that in my panel than the ancient KX-170 it replaced.

I think my ex-boss (co-founded a company I used to work for and I've done some other comm stuff with him, plus he used to race Corvettes with us), has been consulting with them on-and-off for quite a while.   He knew I'd done some SDR projects and he was sucking my brain about it a few years ago...maybe it was for this.

On 12/13/2018 at 4:56 PM, Yetti said:

From my internet searching, the conversion from gas plasma to LED digits is not an overwhelming task

Bendix King offered an LCD conversion for the KX-155's that was under $2K. I recently tried to get that conversion as my KX-155 display was behaving horribly. Interestingly, Palm Beach Avionics found the real problem with my 155, a bad capacitor, which was a fraction of the cost to replace. It seems my display was not the issue after all. 

I've come to understand that the display drive circuitry is one possible cause of display failure and is very often misdiagnosed. 

• Like 1

Send in your working (or working unit with a failed display) KX 155, KX 155A, KX 165, or KX 165 Nav/Comm and BendixKing will provide the following as needed:

Convert from a Gas Discharge Display (if equipped) with an LED display (for KX 155 and KX 165 models) or LCD display (for KX 155A and KX 165A models) – Both LED and LCD displays provide much longer life!
Replace the cosmetic parts (lenses, bezels, knobs, and buttons) to give your radio the “Brand New” look and feel!
Perform necessary minor repairs for airworthiness. Should the radio require more extensive repairs (i.e. board replacement, etc.), an additional UFR fee (current List Price $2010.00 - $2232.50 depending on model) will be applied to the refurbishment cost. 
Your radio with be fully tested for airworthiness and receive an 8130 tag.

Performing a stack upgrade? Adding a KSN 770? This is a perfect time to refresh your radio at a very affordable price!

Some radios may be deemed Beyond Economic Repair and, if so determined, will be returned as is or scrapped (your choice) and a List Price of $745.00 will apply.

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=134493

• 2 months later...

Sorry forgive my ignorance for this old thread. I have a Kx155 without the Glideslope... or at least my old BK CDI does not have a glide slope. My display is starting to go.

If I could add the Mx155, could this add glideslope function to my (new) glass Nav2 input?

Maybe someone at Sun-N-Fun can talk to TKM on the status of this for our aircraft.

• 3 years later...

I should drive by there and see what's up.   It used to be normal to hear something once in a while about things going on there, but the only things I've heard in quite a while weren't great.    Meanwhile AS still sells their legacy stuff.   Maybe it's just remaining stock or something.    Sad to see in any case and I think a lot of people were looking forward to the MX155 being available.   An old AS flyer showed it as "For Experimental Aircraft Only".