Slide in KX155 replacement

vorlon1

I played with it a few times at osh and I think they quoted me $4200 iirc.  Came away think I’d buy a used sl30 and have it installed for the same amount. As an added bonus it (sl30/255) will interface with the G5 sans gad29(b) cleaning the panel of another round gauge. 

15 minutes ago, rbridges said:

my ignorant opinion, but there are a jillion kx155's out there, and every one of them have gas displays which are nowhere to be found.  It seems like a company with a slide in replacement would hit the mother load.

You would think so. But it would still have to be a solution that is an overall improvement on the old KX155/165. This one isn't IMO. And that has us putting the checkbook back in the pocket and walking away. 

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

You would think so. But it would still have to be a solution that is an overall improvement on the old KX155/165. This one isn't IMO. And that has us putting the checkbook back in the pocket and walking away. 

the KX155 hit the market in the 80's.  It seems like you and I could drink a case of beer and come up with a better nav/com using modern electronics.  :D 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think TKM is targeting the "upgrade" crowd.  I've never seen a TKM radio installed along with a new GPS or any other new equipment.  It's usually installed right by the original 1950 radio that came in the plane that is still working.  Their target market is those who are looking for slide in replacements are looking to replace an unrepairable dead radio.  In that case, almost anything is an improvement over no radio at all.  I was just looking at their KX170 replacement since my 170B just died.  Assuming their 170 gets its TSO, my options would be a TKM radio, New/used radio with full install, or try to find another 170.  Great radio, but in my case a new radio would be preferred over another 1000 year old radio that is just biding it's time until it retires also.  So assuming a new radio, a slide in replacement would be preferrable to fighting the ADS-B install backlog at the avi shops for a full install.

Just my $.02.

• Like 1

The TKM MX-170C has been around for years (decades?) and has been TSOed the whole time, as a slide in replacement for the KX-170/175 series of radios.

It isn't the new look and functions of the 155 replacement, but is digital with flip/flop frequencies.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/MX170C.php

3 hours ago, Andy95W said:

The TKM MX-170C has been around for years (decades?) and has been TSOed the whole time, as a slide in replacement for the KX-170/175 series of radios.

It isn't the new look and functions of the 155 replacement, but is digital with flip/flop frequencies.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/MX170C.php

Good info for sure, but the 170 and 155 aren't the same... Like @bob865 said, I am in that crowd: looking for a replacement for my not-so-slowly dying 155. Need to save $ here cause Garmin just too away my GX60, so with ADSB as well, I have enough to worry about...

7 hours ago, vorlon1 said:

Good info for sure, but the 170 and 155 aren't the same... Like @bob865 said, I am in that crowd: looking for a replacement for my not-so-slowly dying 155. Need to save $ here cause Garmin just too away my GX60, so with ADSB as well, I have enough to worry about...

Sorry, I should have tagged @bob865 in my answer- he said he had a KX-170B that just died.