PAR approach opportunity for those near in Alabama and Florida at KMAI

From the Beechtalk forum: .......If anyone is in the south Alabama north Florida we would appreciate some help. We have a tower and a precision approach radar, that if you have never done it is a great learning experience. We are here for 2 weeks and would really appreciate the help. We have about 5 controllers on each system we are trying to get rated by next Friday so any help Beechtalkers can provide would be great.  

ARMY ATC/IFR.....

NOTAMs should have the frequency info; Army also has a temporary tower up at the field. Check the local tower and/or NOTAMs for details.

Edited by Robert C.
Additional info added
  • Like 3

I would love to have the chance to come do this, but my plane just went in for $annual$.   I used to do these when I added my instrument rating in 1993.    

Some of you know my story and I quit flying for 20 years.   When I got back into into it a few years ago, I asked my instructor if I could try one of these again.  They are almost all gone!    It is a great option if you are ever in a partial panel situation.   I would encourage anyone than can to do this.  And look and see if a PAR is an option near your place or your destination.     

I don’’t know of an easy way to find available PAR approaches.  If anyone has a list, please let me know.

Bradb

Former Acclaim - Now P46T N951TB

Edited by BradB

Can't help except to provide a shout out that PAR's are awesome. I got to do one into KNZY--Naval Air Station North Island, CA--during my PPL training. The approach was to minimums with my instructor, while I was under the hood. I now know where to go in SOCAL if I get stuck in the soup as a VFR pilot! 

Edited by jonhop

4 minutes ago, jonhop said:

Can't help but shout out that PAR's are awesome. Got to do one into KNZY Naval Air Station North Island, CA during my PPL training simulated IFR to minimums with my instructor. I now know where to go in SOCAL if I get stuck in the soup as a VFR pilot! 

i believe Los Alamitos also does PAR approaches, inbetween Johnwayne and Long Beach.

• Like 1