Richmond / Williamsburg area. Learning about Mooney ownership.

davidpatton111

Hello all. New here and very interested in my next plane being a Mooney. I currently fly a Piper Clipper and I just can’t go fast enough or haul much.  After a year of looking at different aircraft I’m finally thinking a Mooney may be the most bang for the buck. However, I’m Mooney ignorant. Ideally I’d like to find something for around 45 - 75K. Mission is to go faster and haul weight. I’ve been told they are easy to maintain, fairly inexpensive to operate, and overall more efficient than most similar aircraft. I would love to actually sit in one and get a better idea how I fit, the overall operation of one, and chat about the real pros and cons from an owner’s point of view.  Thanks. 

You want a C model. Sea level performance is great, no problems operating from KJGG, many available in your budget range. Mine runs 147 KTAS above 7500 msl with 970 lb useful load including 300 lb fuel. That's 5-1/2 hours or more (I've gone 4:45 twice, landes with 1:15 fuel left both times). Mynwife and I usually run out of cubic feet before we run out of useful load. This picture was heading to KJGG several Christmases ago, when the nephew's were in jr high & high school.

2011-11-19_15-06-59_219.jpg.df4878b096c26eb5c7fb7e579c303074.jpg

Edited by Hank

I am one of those new owners.  Money exchanged hands a few days ago and not even transferred registration over yet.  I have a month left in Manassas and then will probably move the plane to KEZF.  Once I am settled a bit you are more than welcome to check it out and see how you fit.

Mark

M20c.  Haul a half ton at 140 knots burning 8.5-9 gallons an hour.  Simple systems for gear and flaps that usually don't break and are easily repaired when they do (my little snafu was less than a half AMU to fix).  They don't work if you're big and fat.  If you're tall you won't have much back seat.  But an M20c will haul just about anything you put in it. On your budget you could get a spanky one and have enough left over of maintenance.

• Like 2

Perhaps I'm biased, but if you need load carrying capability, an F model might be right up your alley.  Mine has a useful load of 1,067 lbs. and can fly 145 kts on 8.5 gph.   Others on here say an F should be seeing a bit more speed, but my step is stuck down and I'm dragging a flap to get it to fly straight (I know).  As for range, you have 6.5 hrs with an hour reserve that will get you over 1,000 miles before you have to stop for fuel.

Plus, you get the benefit of actually having 4 usable seats.  In fact, the rear seats are more comfortable and have more legroom than the front.  Should easily be able to find a well equipped F in your price range.

Edited by skydvrboy

First of all I'd like to thank everyone for some great feedback.... I'm hooked. This week I was given a demo ride by one of the members here on this forum. Although the Mooney I rode in is way out of my price range, I was assured they all fly very much the same way and feel the same from a pilot and front passenger point of view. I was surprised to find the width was actually wider than I thought. So many people talk about the Mooney being too narrow. I'm 6'2" tall and the pilot was about the same. No issues. It felt like an airplane should feel. Anyhow, it was a great experience. I also am learning Mooney folks are a tight bunch and really do help one another out when in need of information, a ride, advice, etc. Soon, very soon I hope (know anyone who wants a 108HP Piper Clipper) I'll have the funds to get my first Mooney. And I'm more confident than ever that you all will help me find a good pre-buy guy, a great instructor, and provide me with the right guidance. Lastly, my wife loved it. She sat in the back (even though it was a long body Mooney) and really enjoyed flying in the aircraft. She also loved that her an I in it with full fuel will not put us our of gross weight (we've had one scare with too much fuel and weight and high density altitude conditions due to a hot summer day.)

Bottom line up front... I'm sold!!!

HANK - Awesome picture of the Mooney loaded up... exactly the feedback I am looking for.  Nice to know an airport like KJGG (Williamsburg, VA) is manageable with this aircraft.

ATALLA - LOL, KEZF (Shannon Airport, VA) is where I that scare occurred. I barely made it over those trees in my current plane. I still have nightmares about that day.. but I'd love to fly out there and take a look at your airplane... thanks.

SKYDVRBOY - Load is important because I want to always feel safe with wife and I and luggage. Endurance is never important to me because I can never fly more than 2.5 hours without wanting, not having too, but wanting to stop and take a break. But I get it, these planes are made to burn less fuel and fly faster than other GA aircraft. I like the usable back seat comment. Because I flew in a long body Mooney I'm not entirely sure what the backseat is actually like.

David,

Which LB did you fly in?

Some have about 3X the HP that your Clipper has.  310hp.

My favorite Mooney is one that fits the budget... My M20C was perfect for that.

The O is very much like the C, just bigger and faster and slightly newer...

Best regards,

-a-

We flew an Acclaim... way too fast for a Clipper to Mooney transition and of course out of my price range. I’m sure any plane is manageable with the right CFI and time in the model. Of course I’m planning on taking the more conservative route and most likely  upgrade as I continue to appreciate and respect the Mooney. I cruise at a slow and low 105KIAS and am happy getting something that goes 140 KIAS at this point. Even though I have 400 hours and instrument rated I feel as though I should take my time and not rush. Hopefully after the holiday season I’ll reach out to owners of variois models and get a better feel for what fits my mission now. I had no idea riding in just one Mooney would forever change my mind about my next airplane choice, the Mooney.  

I'll get smacked for this, but if you want something else to compare with I have a '68 Bonanza at Richmond Executive and used to own an M20E prior to that.  I can talk to you about the differences between the two (all factual of course - both good and bad... ;)). 

I'm in the final stages of having my freshly overhauled engine put back in, so it'll be a few more weeks before I get to fly again.  Being grounded sucks... :(

Cheers,

Brian

6 hours ago, davidpatton111 said:

We flew an Acclaim... way too fast for a Clipper to Mooney transition and of course out of my price range. I’m sure any plane is manageable with the right CFI and time in the model. Of course I’m planning on taking the more conservative route and most likely  upgrade as I continue to appreciate and respect the Mooney. I cruise at a slow and low 105KIAS and am happy getting something that goes 140 KIAS at this point. Even though I have 400 hours and instrument rated I feel as though I should take my time and not rush. Hopefully after the holiday season I’ll reach out to owners of variois models and get a better feel for what fits my mission now. I had no idea riding in just one Mooney would forever change my mind about my next airplane choice, the Mooney.  

That’s why they say don’t try coke, easy to get hooked. Most of the Mooney bashers have never been in a Mooney. I recently took a Cirrus Guy for a ride who couldn’t believe foe big and comfy my Mooney was and of course faster with more range. Easy to become a MOONEY MANAIC