Christmas gift ideas....

NJMac

Just a warning to everyone that RC usually isn't a cheap hobby. it gets extremely expensive quickly if you fall in love with it. I will say it was a bargain compared to aviation.

You get what you pay for is also a big reality in models. most of the cheap stuff can be bought online but there are no replacement parts. Id look at anything horizon hobby. all their products have all parts to rebuild the entire model, so if you crash, repair is still possible.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NJMac said:

Last year we got my best friend's kids a couple science experiment type gifts for Christmas. They loved them. They're enamored with my plane so i asked their parents if they might do a model plane kit. They thought it would be cool.

So asking the group, does anyone know of an age appropriate elec or gas airplane kit for a 6 and 7 year old? Am I starting them on this too young?

What all aviation wise did you all give to kids you loved at roughly this age?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I strated playing with Cox line control airplanes as a kid.  They are a fun way to experience being a pilot as a kid.

Clarence

15 hours ago, Niko182 said:

Just a warning to everyone that RC usually isn't a cheap hobby. it gets extremely expensive quickly if you fall in love with it. I will say it was a bargain compared to aviation.

You get what you pay for is also a big reality in models. most of the cheap stuff can be bought online but there are no replacement parts. Id look at anything horizon hobby. all their products have all parts to rebuild the entire model, so if you crash, repair is still possible.

Pot calling the kettle black aren't you?  I've spent more on my mooney than I ever spent on my RC planes and I have a RC Mooney.  :lol::D

But yes, it's a rabbit hole just like the full scale.  The only difference is the economies of scale.  RC is measured in hundreds of dollars.  Full scale is measured in thousands of dollars.  And it's a gateway drug to full scale.  Start them young and they'll be broke for life.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:11 PM, thinwing said:

You got that right!!RC is a desease...especially when it gets to turbine scale jets and helicopters 

Helicopters were never meant to fly.  They are just so ugly the earth repels them!  I tried helicopters once or twice.  One of the times I ended up with a .60 size nitro heli.  Was running the engine in my driveway when I bumped a swtich on my radio that changed the throttle/collective mixes making it jump off the ground and drift into my car.  Drove my car with 3 huge dents in the driver door for the next 8 years and sold the helicopter that night.  Haven't touched a whirly bird since then.