Combine FlightAware and EDM Engine Monitor Data

211º

As I was downloading data from the EDM today and trying to think of a better way to visualize the data (and trends), my brain sidestepped to the possibility of merging FlightAware (or CloudAhoy) data with the engine data - I'm not 100% sure that it would provide anything of real value, but it might be interesting.  Has anyone seen/heard about this being done?

If you are looking to monitor power produced in several different ways, under various loads, and conditions...

Combine it with calculated predictions using Book values...  ... you could be onto something?

If you are looking to capture degradation of a pilot’s performance... you may be onto something else...? :)

What are you trying to get out of such an endeavor?

I tend to use CloudAhoy often... and collect JPI data with every opportunity...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, 211º said:

As I was downloading data from the EDM today and trying to think of a better way to visualize the data (and trends), my brain sidestepped to the possibility of merging FlightAware (or CloudAhoy) data with the engine data - I'm not 100% sure that it would provide anything of real value, but it might be interesting.  Has anyone seen/heard about this being done?

I’m not 100% on this- but I think FlyQ’s new release will show egt/cht in relation to recorded flight path- it’s all part of their new logbook feature.  

The downside is that you have to have the engine monitor hooked into your panel mount GPS, and that has to be synced to the FlyQ EFB app... I don’t think you can just import your engine data.

not sure how FlyQ hooks up to a Garmin... but it’s very simple with a Avidyne IFD.  I have my engine monitor hooked up to the avidyne IFD- but I’m not sure that it’s sending egt/cht data to the IFD (yet... with avidyne- I’ve found that if one suggests it, it tends to happen... eventually).

all this to say- great idea!  Would love to see it implemented!  Would allow me to go back and look at engine data for when I hear or feel something “funny” (oh say, like when it’s night and I’m in the mountains... or over the great salt lake, wondering how close I could glide to shore...you know... those noises that happen)- I tend not to know the time of flight at those points- but I generally remember where I am.

Edited by M016576

If you have GPS integrated with your analyzer, then your analyzer is recording your flight path. If you load up your data to Savvy, we provide a link to see your flight path on a map background. But the map isn't a time series on position - maybe in the future. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kortopates said:

If you have GPS integrated with your analyzer, then your analyzer is recording your flight path. If you load up your data to Savvy, we provide a link to see your flight path on a map background. But the map isn't a time series on position - maybe in the future. 

That would be a sweet feature... I’m sure you guys (Saavy/Mike Busch) have thought of this- but you should see about teaming up with an EFB designer or two.... would be cool to have Saavy analysis possible through an EFB... lots of good synergy possible there 

• Like 1

Check your hardware for its ability to share data...

1) The engine monitor is the typical data collector and saver...

2) GPS provides some JPI700 models with position... newer more powerful monitors have improved on this.

3) FF provides fuel data to the JPI...

Expect modern engine monitors to act in a similar fashion as a mini flight recorder of each variable that it can collect.

See how many signal wires can be connected to the JPI.  Older equipment is going to have some limitations...

PP thoughts only, my hardware never got connected to each other for some reason...

Best regards,

-a-

CloudAhoy is already doing this in some cases. Data input from my G1000 has most of the engine monitor stats and you can chart them alongside the other information. Check to see if you’re not getting the same thing...will depend on what data you are importing into the app of course.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, carusoam said:

What are you trying to get out of such an endeavor?

Discovery! I'm not sure what trend(s) this will show, but I agree with M016576... a blip in a JPI graph over a certain terrain might remind you "oh, that is when I pulled the power waaaaay back because of the mountain vorticies" or something similar

• Like 1

I need to a little time on this (I have a good, but older model collector).  I think that the location of the flight should be able to be plotted in google maps with "points on the flight path" clickable to show desired data at that time and location.  If/when I jig something up, I'll share it.

3 hours ago, 211º said:

Discovery! I'm not sure what trend(s) this will show, but I agree with M016576... a blip in a JPI graph over a certain terrain might remind you "oh, that is when I pulled the power waaaaay back because of the mountain vorticies" or something similar

Have you explored CloudAhoy?

Although, not connected to anything else in my panel... it is an incredible memory device for reviewing a flight in detail... and can even automatically rate your typical flight maneuvers...  it makes an interesting way to review your flight with a ton of detail, graphically... including GPS derived speed, altitude, and direction... use a WAAS source for best experience...

Best regards,

-a-

On 12/2/2018 at 3:55 PM, kortopates said:

Just to close on this, the  desired feature of typing the flight map data to the charted data is in our Savvy feature request queue for future enhancements. its not a high priority item though because it really doesn't help with diagnosing engine data, but its clearly helpful to the pilot. But I have no idea when we might see progress in this area.

I wrote all of the GIS software for a government project years ago; subsequent organizations have tried to get me to sign a non-compete explicitly prohibiting me from working for ESRI. I wouldn't sign it -- not that I'd care to work for ESRI, but I guess they hand concerns over having someone that could do the bare metal GIS computations and graphical rendering without 3rd party software being sniped by someone with deeper pockets. 

Here's rendering of data that I, and a couple other testers, collected with an iPhone app that I wrote. The UI isn't all that pretty and I'm using a publicly available base layer, but all of the METAR/TFR/AIRMET/SIGMET data is displayed and rendered on the fly. Clicking the path gives coordinate info. I could easily pull out JPI data and display it just the same. On a technical note, it's running on a Windows 2012 server with 7200 RPM drives. 

http://airwaysandrunways.com/Flights/Default.aspx

• Like 1