Mooney Names- did marketing do it wrong?

M016576

I was looking at that beautiful E-model for sale and thought about the “Ranger,” the “Executive” and the “Chapparal.”  2 of the 3 are references to the Texas heritage... I guess if you include downtown Dallas and San Antonio- Executive does to!

then they went on to focus on the “speed aspect”. 201, 205, 231, 252.

the M20M wasn’t originally called a “Bravo”, though.... it was just the M20M.  It didn’t pick up the moniker Bravo, until the -B modification (wet head) was made to the engine after a few years of operation... so it was a phonetic reference.  Good thing it wasn’t the -C mod- or the next 4 Mooney’s might have been “Charlie, Peppermint Paddy, Lucy and Snoopy”

mooney seemed to like it, though (-B) and chose to look at it as “music/orchestra” related... and we were  stuck with “Allegro, Acclaim, Bravo, Ovation” for two decades.

the one exception was the “Eagle.”

Mooney’s latest iteration- the “Ultra.”  Which applies to both the U and V (turbo and not).

if we could re-write history- what would you guys name the mooney’s?  For some reason, calling the M20M and M20T “bravo/acclaim” just doesn’t purport their true speed, capability in my mind...

more like fire breathing dragon... or moonshot.... or sky-tearing facemelter!

Edited by M016576

The M20M/Bravo had a name for the Alpha model.... they called it the TLS...?

A wave of new management came in at the time of needing the wet head update... Bravo, allegro and Ovation followed suit...

Did the first LB, M20L, Get a loving name?  Sure, it was the PFM...

My favorite name somebody added to the line.... Standing O!  :)

Best regards,

-a- 

Anthony's right, the original name for the M20M was the TLS- for Turbo Lycoming Sabre.

At that time, the M20J was the MSE- Mooney Special Edition (but it was still referred to as the 201/205)

And the M20K was the TSE-Turbo Special Edition (but it was still referred to as the 252)

It makes you wonder:  how did they come up with Sabre for TLS?

• Like 2

DMAX should get the award for coming up with the funniest Mooney name.  

When I was a participant on the Mooney email list, which DMAX was a contributor and still is I believe, there was a guessing game amongst the contributors as to what should be the name of the forthcoming new model.

Don's suggestion was the Mooney Orgasmo. :lol:

It was finally named the Mooney Acclaim.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1