ADSB... uAvionix

joekinnc

I've had a response from uAvionix regarding the Skybeacon.  They seem to think it was just a threshold setting issue where even 35% was too high but the second flight with a threshold of 20% was too low.  I raised my threshold to 30% and flew to dinner through a mode c veil so I requested my report...No failures!  I will attempt the rebate flight again soon.

• Like 3

Update on SkyBeacon on Mooney M20K / Rocket: we completed the install. The SB strobe will not work unless the SB Nav light is powered (nav light on), which is not documented in the installation instructions. I'll post pictures of the wingtip lens modified to let the antenna through.

• Thanks 1

Completed SkyBeacon installation and passed validation flight on the Mooney Rocket. When we configured the SB from the iPhone, the transponder sqwak code would not show up no matter threshold. uAvionics support said ignore, set to 34% and go do validation flight. It passed. So this could be an issue with the app, but the bottom line is it works. See pic attached the wingtip lens slot we cut leaves a small gap behind the SB antenna which will be covered with a piece of plexiglas using the available screw hole and nutplate + caulk around antenna.

Total cost:

SkyBeacon $1,849
4 hours @ $85 = $340 (he's a bit slow)
Minus: $500 FAA rebate
TOTAL $1,689

IMG_0173.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, floridaflyer said:

Completed SkyBeacon installation and passed validation flight on the Mooney Rocket. When we configured the SB from the iPhone, the transponder sqwak code would not show up no matter threshold. uAvionics support said ignore, set to 34% and go do validation flight. It passed. So this could be an issue with the app, but the bottom line is it works. See pic attached the wingtip lens slot we cut leaves a small gap behind the SB antenna which will be covered with a piece of plexiglas using the available screw hole and nutplate + caulk around antenna.

Total cost:

SkyBeacon $1,849
4 hours @ $85 = $340 (he's a bit slow)
Minus: $500 FAA rebate
TOTAL $1,689

IMG_0173.JPG

I've been waiting for someone to do this.

Thanks to you I can give my AP/IA a picture to go by.

I pulled new wires to each wingtip strobes on my 67F ads they had them connected to the nav lights,  not to hard, a few bad screws, used my daughters skinny long arms to run the wires, then a new  a breaker Switch for the strobes, maybe 4 hours to complete.  Well worth the effort so I can turn strobes off on the ground at night and IMC at night. 

I am finding the Skybeacon to be a little finicky. I am constantly having to adjust the transponder threshold in order to get a squawk code to display. Some days are perfect, most require adjustments. May have something to do with the tail beacon delays?

4 hours ago, mooniacX said:

I am finding the Skybeacon to be a little finicky. I am constantly having to adjust the transponder threshold in order to get a squawk code to display. Some days are perfect, most require adjustments. May have something to do with the tail beacon delays?

Tech support told me don’t get hung up on the app if it doesn’t populate the squawk code, try the validation flight. Worked for me. I don’t plan on using the app unless I get notification from FAA there’s a problem with signal. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

I hope uAvionix have about 10,000 of their beacons in flow.  

By summer time some folks will be forced to use this simple solution regardless of any desire for Mode S ES — even the worst radio shops are booked up for the rest of this year.  

SB doesn’t require much skills to install and FAA does not require proof the install was done by avionics shop/IA to allow the plane to fly after 1/1/20, just need to pass the check flight. So log book entry can wait until avionics shop start laying off. 

2 hours ago, floridaflyer said:

SB doesn’t require much skills to install and FAA does not require proof the install was done by avionics shop/IA to allow the plane to fly after 1/1/20, just need to pass the check flight. So log book entry can wait until avionics shop start laying off. 

No, but it still classifies as "maintenance" and all "maintenance needs to be signed off properly before flight. Can't get around that one unless one wants to run bare without a signature from an A&P. I don't know too many A&Ps that would date a log entry in arrears, especially if they didn't do the work (or repair stations either). Only issue would be some "incident" that brought out the Feds to see your log books.  All depends on ones ability to accept "risk". Is it worth it?

Lots of A&Ps available that are able do it and sign it off. Doesn't need a radio shop to do the  work. 

Finally!  After two MCF flights and speaking with uAvionix about a few things I did my 30 minute flight for the rebate this morning and received my GAIRS Report and code and submitted for the rebate.

Installing the Skybeacon coincided with my first annual in which my autopilot was repaired as well.  During the down time I also built a Stratux and tested it on the flight this morning...Traffic was flowing into my EFB!

Thanks to everyone with the recommendations from this thread.

• Like 1