ADSB... uAvionix

joekinnc

So my friend installed the Skybeacon on his Citabria.  Flunked the first test flight. Heads up to all who use this option, you need to put your transponder in ALT mode for it to work. After I figured this out for him he flew a second test flight and flunked it, although he had no red marks on the report. He asked for a manual review and it came back that he had no time in "rule airspace". Rule airspace for southern Ohio is defined as flying in class B, or C or above 10,000 ft. Anyone else have this issue?  I thought I recalled reading where others passed by just a routine flight at lower altitudes?  

I test mine periodically and I had one flight that failed due to the rules airspace requirement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Installed a skyBeacon in my E a few weeks ago.

First test flight failed, no squawk code transmitted about half the time. uAvionix support (very responsive and helpful!) had me adjust the threshold setting a bit. I also did the first flight at relatively low altitude with some maneuvering (San Fran bay tour).

Second test flight: I changed the transponder threshold setting per support suggestions. Also at uAvionix supports' suggestion I made it a much more boring flight, up above 10,000' for 30+ minutes on a short cross country, just a couple of standard rate turns changing course... it passed flying colors, rebate is on the way....

• Like 2

Summary...

1) We have spent decades fearing that we may bust some airspace by a hair... with Mode C on...

2) Now we Find with WAAS GPS and ADSB out, it is pretty hard to be identified properly....

3) ‘Rule airspace’... not sure when this term got coined... but it seems to be the airspace related to the ADSB out rule...

4) Some people have reported success by flying through the rule airspace on a X-country... not necessarily flying around in circles or maneuvering for a long time.... this is probably related to being identified while in the rule airspace and not losing the identity until the flight is terminated....

5) Rule Airspace seems to be defined by...

• Within the mode C veil, or...
  • Above 10k’, Or...
  • Above Class B & C

6) Having the Alt mode of the transponder selected... this gives the pressure(?) alt data that is being used by ATC... A WAAS gps can provide gps altitude data, but that isn’t used by ATC yet...

PP summary of what I read here, could contain errors...

Best regards,

-a-

24 minutes ago, carusoam said:

6) Having the Alt mode of the transponder selected... this gives the pressure(?) alt data that is being used by ATC... A WAAS gps can provide gps altitude data, but that isn’t used by ATC yet... 

This is a good question... why is WAAS GPS positioning data not good enough to give altitude reporting information?

ATC relies on a single standard...

Everyone worldwide has the altimeter and encoder connected to their transponder already...

Changing this standard may take some time and AMUs...

Hmmmmmmm...

It would be cool if the gov wanted to support my WAAS habit to go with the support they are giving for ADSB....  :)

Best regards,

-a-

4 hours ago, Buckeyechuck said:

So my friend installed the Skybeacon on his Citabria.  Flunked the first test flight. Heads up to all who use this option, you need to put your transponder in ALT mode for it to work. After I figured this out for him he flew a second test flight and flunked it, although he had no red marks on the report. He asked for a manual review and it came back that he had no time in "rule airspace". Rule airspace for southern Ohio is defined as flying in class B, or C or above 10,000 ft. Anyone else have this issue?  I thought I recalled reading where others passed by just a routine flight at lower altitudes?  

This came up before in a prior thread, "rule airspace" does include

1. anything above 10,000 MSL UNLESS you are less than 2500 AGL
  2. Class B or Class C airspace
  3. any airspace ABOVE Class B or Class C airspace
  4. Class E airspace off the Gulf Coast out to 12 nm above 3000' MSL

Obviously, some of this doesn't apply to southern Ohio.  The gist of it is, if you want to get your ADS-B rebate by flying in rule airspace for 30 minutes, #3 is probably the easiest.  I flew laps above the Portland Class C airspace which only goes up to 4000' MSL, so I just hung around at 5000-6000'.  I was still talking to the approach controllers for flight following, they were a little surprised by my request, but had no particular problems with it.

Also, remember that flying in rule airspace for 30 minutes is only a requirement for the ADS-B rebate, not the installation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2019 at 10:09 AM, MinneMooney said:

I had an Appareo ESG installed in my Cessna 140 about 2 years ago. I’m under the MSP Class B airspace. It took 3 different flights for me to get a passing test result. I flew outside of Class B airspace but within the 30 mile “mode C” veil.

Oh!  A fellow 140 owner!  I just put an ESG in my 140 and getting ready for the validation flight as soon as I get weather.

On 3/2/2019 at 9:24 AM, Buckeyechuck said:

Heads up to all who use this option, you need to put your transponder in ALT mode for it to work.

I have been told by CFI's for years: ALT mode all the time. Even on the ground.

2 hours ago, vorlon1 said:

I have been told by CFI's for years: ALT mode all the time. Even on the ground.

in 2015, the FAA published a SAFO that says exactly this.  You are expected to have your transponder on and in ALT mode before you start moving, even if for taxi.

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/safo/all_safos/media/2015/SAFO15006.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My skybeacon shows up today.  The grumpy IA/A&P has already OK'd me to install it myself under his supervision, though I still need to ask him what specific inspection points he would like to see.  I'll give a PIREP of the install, configuration, and test flight.

Also have all the parts for a Stratux showing up on Friday.  Hoping one of my kids would like to make this a father - son/daughter project as they have both built Raspberry PI devices at school.  Will also provide a PIREP of the Stratux assembly, setup, and operation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

My skybeacon shows up today.  The grumpy IA/A&P has already OK'd me to install it myself under his supervision, though I still need to ask him what specific inspection points he would like to see.  I'll give a PIREP of the install, configuration, and test flight.

Also have all the parts for a Stratux showing up on Friday.  Hoping one of my kids would like to make this a father - son/daughter project as they have both built Raspberry PI devices at school.  Will also provide a PIREP of the Stratux assembly, setup, and operation.

Sheesh, if they've worked with Pi's at school, they'll be done with the Stratux in about 5 minutes :lol:  Kids these days

I began reading this thread to see if I wanted to purchase the Skybeacon.  After reading all of the installation remarks and understanding the ease, I will purchase one today.  It will be nice to get the ADSB stuff out of the way.  I had to respond to this thread when I saw @MinneMooney and @MBDiagMan 140's pictured as well.  Here is a picture of my father's 150 that I learned to fly in...It is the same year Mooney that I purchased ('62).  I will update this thread after installation.  Thanks for everyone's remarks.

hangar.JPG

20170416_093918.jpg

Edited by Kmac
addition
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

A Texas Taildragger!

Not quite...it has STC'd C-140 gear...  It also has a C-152 cowling with Sparrowhawked 0-235 engine.  Look at the airspeed indicator...that is straight and level...

• Like 1

Successful installation/validation of SkyBeacon in conjunction with my AT-150 transponder.

Suggestion.......prior to first validation flight, follow UAvionix video for adjusting transponder threshold to avoid “Mode 3A failure”

Dummy me.......if you wish to incorporate strobe feature of SkyBeacon, connect yellow wire with red wire to nav. light power switch! :wacko:

My experience...... purchased from Pacific Coast Avionics through EBay.....less $’s, no tax, no shipping fees.  In stock .

• Thanks 2

On 2/3/2019 at 6:45 PM, squeaky.stow said:

My question remains, is cutting an antenna slot in that plastic cover legal and safe?

squeaky did you find out anything about the Antenna cut out? I bought the SkyBeacon for my Rocket and it looks like there’s just enough room to cut a slot at the bottom rear of the plexiglas cover without cutting the wing fairing. I can’t think of any other option if using the original wingtip light location. 

F02EE53C-FB59-4C90-A08F-A972EF06BDFE.jpeg

42 minutes ago, nosky2high said:

I would strongly discourage you from trying this. Wait for the tailbeacon or look into one of the transponder options since you have a rocket and may want to fly above 18k someday.

Putting anything other than 1090es on a turbo is a waste imo

• Like 3

19 hours ago, floridaflyer said:

squeaky did you find out anything about the Antenna cut out? I bought the SkyBeacon for my Rocket and it looks like there’s just enough room to cut a slot at the bottom rear of the plexiglas cover without cutting the wing fairing. I can’t think of any other option if using the original wingtip light location. 

F02EE53C-FB59-4C90-A08F-A972EF06BDFE.jpeg

I never did look into the legality of cutting a slot for the antenna. The only reason I was considering this was as a low cost temporary solution while I waited for Dynon to come through with an STC. I have now realized that will take years if ever, so I am going straight to a 1090 transponder and whatever else I decide to do to the panel all in one shot. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, cliffy said:

How are you going to control the strobes on the ground around other aircraft?

The same way as Cirrus pilots- they don’t. They taxi around at night with all the strobes on annoying the crap out of the people around them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1