ADSB... uAvionix

joekinnc

1 hour ago, Mooneymite said:

In addition to being able to program "incognito mode", the position light switch (daytime) can be turned off completely disabling ADS-B for those daytime drug runs.

I wish I would have known before I installed the faux storage compartment in the gas tank of my Chevy Spark.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Marauder said:

I do fly with the lights on unless I am in the clouds at night. Then the strobes go off. So I guess it should be wired to the Nav lights and not the strobe circuit? Same for the ADS-B out light?

There are two connections, one for power and one for strobe.  You would wire it just like your plane curently is and it will perform just like your plane currently does.  The ADS-B/Nav lights come on with the nav light switch and the strobe with the strobe switch.  (unless you screw up the wiring job :lol:)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 6:31 AM, bob865 said:

There are two connections, one for power and one for strobe.  You would wire it just like your plane curently is and it will perform just like your plane currently does.  The ADS-B/Nav lights come on with the nav light switch and the strobe with the strobe switch.  (unless you screw up the wiring job :lol:)

Just make sure you by-pass the strobe power supply as mentioned in the installation manual.

• Like 1

Just now, LANCECASPER said:

Just make sure you by-pass the strobe power supply as mentioned in the installation manual.

Pulled the power supply to save weight.  It's in my trunk now. :)

Hanging on to it as a spare for my left side strobe until I swap the other side with the matching LED position light.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bob865 said:

Here is what it looks like installed.  Just need to get the function check flight done.

20181224_152108.jpg

Looks good.  I’m curious, is there a way to tell if it is on and working? As I understood, for high wings, there is a light on the inboard side of the antenna.  That obviously won’t be obvious in a low wing... 

1 hour ago, takair said:

Looks good.  I’m curious, is there a way to tell if it is on and working? As I understood, for high wings, there is a light on the inboard side of the antenna.  That obviously won’t be obvious in a low wing... 

Can one open the uAvionix smartphone installation app & get a status reading?  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, takair said:

Yes.  Like @Jerry 5TJ said, you can connect via the app and see the status.  I'm hoping to out of work early enough to get by the airport today.  If I do, I'll take a screenshot and post along with a pic of it lit up for @ZuluZulu.

• Like 1

Got mine on the 24th, installed and did my certification flight for the rebate yesterday. The entire process, including a few minutes trying to download the FAQ PDF, took 10 minutes. I was just positive the test flight would be a waste because it just seemed entirely too easy and surely something wasn't working right. Got my ADSB report and incentive code 1 hour after the flight. What great technology.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

I read somewhere they will not be offering the right side with ADS-B IN for certified aircraft. Any word on if they will offer a matching light and if so, when?

Thought I saw the matching light on the web site, with pricing....that was a couple of weeks ago.

Here are some pictures of it "lit up" as requested.  In the daylight, the pictures don't do it much justice.  I took a little video so you could see the strobe running.  The screenshot is the status monitor screen of the app showing it's status.  The Squawk is blank because on the ground, the transponder hasn't received an interrogation so it hasn't broadcast for the skybeacon to 'hear.'

They are making a matching light for the right wing, but they have announced they are not going to certify the one with ADS-B in.  It is available for experimental and looks exactly like the right wing tip light. 

Screenshot_20181226-162944_skyBeacon[1].jpg

20181226_162840[1].jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That strobe intensity doesn’t look very exciting and the forward coverage angle doesn’t appear to go very far forward either. 

I think I would Pull wire from the avionics bus to this unit. That way when The avionics master comes on,the transponder comes on, and the sky beacon is on as well to do it’s job. I wouldn’t want to have to turn on the NAV lights or strobes to make sure the unit is on.  working. Especially in the DC SFRA.  

Edited by jetdriven

As I sit here in my easy chair awaiting my Skybeacon to arrive, I’m doing my mental preparation by downloading the installation manual and perusing same. All is straight forward until I get to the caveat regarding the strobe power (yellow wire).

UAV-1001421-001 19 Rev D
 WARNING: The yellow wire must be connected directly to 14/28V aircraft power. It must NOT be connected to a high voltage anti- collision power supply.

What do you suppose the strobe system on my ‘66 “C” puts out and, if necessary, how would the power supply be by-passed?

i know I can figure this out, but it’s cold in my hangar, warm in my chair, and you all are so smart. Thanks.

As I sit here in my easy chair awaiting my Skybeacon to arrive, I’m doing my mental preparation by downloading the installation manual and perusing same. All is straight forward until I get to the caveat regarding the strobe power (yellow wire).

UAV-1001421-001 19 Rev D

WARNING: The yellow wire must be connected directly to 14/28V aircraft power. It must NOT be connected to a high voltage anti- collision power supply.

What do you suppose the strobe system on my ‘66 “C” puts out and, if necessary, how would the power supply be by-passed?

i know I can figure this out, but it’s cold in my hangar, warm in my chair, and you all are so smart. Thanks.

What this is referring to is making sure that if you have strobes already that you just don’t simply take the power lead from the strobes you are removing and connecting this unit up. It’s a warning that you’ll most likely fry it if you accidentally connect it to the power supply. Most likely because the strobes on this unit are LEDs and not traditional gas tube strobes.

If you have strobes like Whelen’s, you will need to remove them and take the power line to the power pack and use it instead. Another painful option is to run a new power line to the unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

45 minutes ago, Marauder said:

What this is referring to is making sure that if you have strobes already that you just don’t simply take the power lead from the strobes you are removing and connecting this unit up. It’s a warning that you’ll most likely fry it if you accidentally connect it to the power supply. Most likely because the strobes on this unit are LEDs and not traditional gas tube strobes.

If you have strobes like Whelen’s, you will need to remove them and take the power line to the power pack and use it instead. Another painful option is to run a new power line to the unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

What I did was remove the power supply completely.  My E model has a high voltage power supply in each wing for the strobes.  I removed the power supply completely from the plane.  I did put the screws and nuts back in place so I didn't have 4 holes in my wing and to re-secure the ground to the airframe.  I cut the wires to the strobe bulb and used them to pull a new wire back into the bay where the power supply was located.  Once the wire was in the bay, I cut the source power to the power supply and spliced it to my new wire and then I had a wire available at the wingtip that was switched 12V for the strobe. 

I didn't use the spices that came with the kit.  I'm not a fan of that type.  Below is a link to what I used.  This is what we used on the F-18s and they are much nicer, in my opinion, than what comes with the kit.  You slip the shrink tube over the wire then crimp the splice.  Then you heat the tube to shrink.  It has a heat activated glue inside so when shrinked properly(this takes some practice when shrinking with a lighter or torch) it makes a weather proof seal.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/splices11-04425.php

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:06 AM, BDPetersen said:

Thanks, all. Apparently I need to hope I have separate power supplies for each wingtip and eliminate the left one. A trip through the equipment list should tell. The installation manual makes it seem somewhat routine to find 14 v from the existing strobe wire.

Take a look under the wing about 1-2 ft inboard from the edge.  There should be an inspection panel with 4 screws in the middle.  The 4 screws are how the power supply mounts in the wing. If you have that on each wing tip you have the seperate power supplies.  The power supply will have a single 12V+ wire connected and the chassis will be the ground/negative connected directly to the airframe.  The output will be a 3 wire harness that will connect to the strobe tube on the wing tip.

Does it support "Anonymous" 978UAT and anyone know if it can fit inside of the enclosed wingtips?
Yes. It will do anonymous mode. I cant answer the enclosed question though. If you need measurements or something to figure it out let me know and I can measure mine. But I think the measurements are in the manual also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Antares said:

Does it support "Anonymous" 978UAT and anyone know if it can fit inside of the enclosed wingtips?

It certainly looks like the antenna is too long to fit inside the wingtips . . . But they have a taillight ABS-B Out unit, too.

On 12/25/2018 at 5:34 PM, takair said:

Is there a reason you couldn’t mount it on the right wing tip with the indicator light up so you could see it?