NAV Light switch tripping

GLJA

'74F. Been completing my Night Rating (yes, it's a "rating" in Canada), and have had the Nav light switch trip off a few times while in flight. 

The first time, I Was a tad sloppy reaching for the landing light, and thought it was me. Switched back on no problem. Second time, I brushed it and it tripped, wasn't able to reset.  A  Few minutes pass, and it'll allow you to reset. Third time (last night on a 3 hours X-Country), it tripped in mid air, without me touching it. Same issue. Few minutes, and it will stay clicked back on. 

Lighting for panel is hot as F&&K from the background lighting (any LED suggestions greatly appreciated), and wondering if this is causing an internal switch breaker to fail? Or, is the switch at fault and requires a replacement? 

No LED lights on the plane, so that's another "reduce the amperage" option going forward. 

Edited by CDNflyby
spelling

Old switch - replace it.   Put an LED for a running/landing light. Search for Wheelen PAR46 Tractor LED.  My 75F has the panel lights in the glare shield.    The heat may be from the radios.   Check the copilot nacel inlet for a tube that should cool behind the panel.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Old switch - replace it.   Put an LED for a running/landing light. Search for Wheelen PAR46 Tractor LED.  My 75F has the panel lights in the glare shield.    The heat may be from the radios.   Check the copilot nacel inlet for a tube that should cool behind the panel.

Pretty sure the heat is from the panel back lighting. the dimmer knob (located at the top of the panel, in front of the left yoke), it hot to the touch when the back lighting is on. Not bad when you dim it to nothing (off) during daylight hours.

The CB switches lose their firm click-iness with use...

Their mode of operation is based on warming up with current flow...

You get a few choices...

• Don’t let the CB switch warm up externally, blow some air on it...
  • Don’t let the CB switch warm up internally, go LED...
  • Swap out the CB switch for one that isn’t worn out...

A true CB would swap out the CB switch for a new one that will last another 40 years... :)

If it is a forever plane, it deserves LED lights too....

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Hot as F$$k??  Try touching the outside of the red torpedo lights above your head!!  You can cook with those things!  There’s a thread about making them led too but it’s not a simple swap of bulb.  My soldering might be worse than the hot hot lights.  So my entire panel has led ring lights and everything stays bright and cool... except the burning torpedo lights!

Lots of good advice above...   My experience with the same issue on my bird....    Installed mid/low cost replacement  LED bulbs in the existing wing sockets...      no more trips...    

I did have an issue with the original single wire tail lite frying the led bulb...   eventually added a grounding wire  socket (grounded to  rudder )   it did have a larger  dome to accept the LED...   and now have a continuous aft tail lite with a flasher ring....   perhaps a little added safety....      All purchased at Aircraft spruce...

my bird is averaging  10 hours a week currently...  this time of year a lot of lites on time....  (too many hours spent at the place paying for it all)   again Just my experience... 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, asaxet said:

Lots of good advice above...   My experience with the same issue on my bird....    Installed mid/low cost replacement  LED bulbs in the existing wing sockets...      no more trips...    

I did have an issue with the original single wire tail lite frying the led bulb...   eventually added a grounding wire  socket (grounded to  rudder )   it did have a larger  dome to accept the LED...   and now have a continuous aft tail lite with a flasher ring....   perhaps a little added safety....      All purchased at Aircraft spruce...

my bird is averaging  10 hours a week currently...  this time of year a lot of lites on time....  (too many hours spent at the place paying for it all)   again Just my experience... 

Hahah... it's now 8:17 AM, and the sun is just coming up... It'll be dark by 4:45 tonight. I know all about lights. 
LED are going to be the plan. Now trying to find a lower heat source for the back panel lighting for the instrument panel. the dimmer switch burns my desk job pansy fingers when I turn it. 

• Like 1