Done with being a Private Pilot

Lance Keve

....so passed my Commercial practical today... badum dum.

Ok, I may have ripped that title and punch line from POA, but oh well.

Poor weather in the NE had today be the third attempt at getting this accomplished.

Umm, now what?  On to Multi.  Where can I get a twin Mooney from? ;)  Yes, I know about the original M22 twin prototype.

• Like 12

Just now, Jim Peace said:

Does not work that way.  Flying the big stuff is not that fun, it is only so you can afford to pay for the small stuff that is.

Depends on your definition of "big stuff".  Some of it IS fun.

In any case, there are paying jobs flying all sorts of things besides airliners.  It all starts with that commercial license.  So it's a great step.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bryan said:

@Lance Keve, congrats.

I am in the same boat, passed my CPL test a month or two ago.  Also looking for a twin Mooney for the ...Multi add-on.

Buy a C-310 the world is littered with them. You can get a good one for less than an old Mooney. Fly it till you get all your multi ratings and then sell it for what you paid for it. 

Taking off with 520 HP is pretty cool!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lance Keve said:

Umm, now what?  On to Multi.  Where can I get a twin Mooney from? 

Aerostar!

Congrats. I finished my commercial earlier this year and was mostly through multi engine training til the left prop and engine timed out on the club plane....back on that horse in January.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lance Keve said:

....so passed my Commercial practical today... badum dum.

Ok, I may have ripped that title and punch line from POA, but oh well.

Poor weather in the NE had today be the third attempt at getting this accomplished.

Umm, now what?  On to Multi.  Where can I get a twin Mooney from? ;)  Yes, I know about the original M22 twin prototype.

Congratulations!

When it was my time to do the commercial 3 or 4 years ago, it took seven attempts of scheduling then cancelling for weather trying to do it in Dec.

It is a really fun rating with all those crazy maneuvers.

Did you do it to improve your skills and for bragging rights or do you see yourself making money with it? (Banner towing!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

Congratulations!

When it was my time to do the commercial 3 or 4 years ago, it took seven attempts of scheduling then cancelling for weather trying to do it in Dec.

It is a really fun rating with all those crazy maneuvers.

Did you do it to improve your skills and for bragging rights or do you see yourself making money with it? (Banner towing!)

Thank you.  Seven! Wow.  I'm just glad I got the IR done before this icing season started.

Didn't do it for skill, not that I didn't need improvement, but rather to allow the possibility of options...

19 minutes ago, Lance Keve said:

Thank you.  Seven! Wow.  I'm just glad I got the IR done before this icing season started.

Didn't do it for skill, not that I didn't need improvement, but rather to allow the possibility of options...

Yeah - it was painful - going to sleep 7 times checking weather anticipating that maybe the iffy TAFs wouldn't be so bad.  re-studying 7 times for the oral.  Trying to stay sharp in the flying part.  6 times waking up to weather that just was below par for various reasons and cancelling. All that took place over about a month.  But finally got er done.  Actually on the day I did it, over at Plattsburgh (on their 12,000ft runway) it came down to just an hour to fit it in before the weather went bad.  In fact, luckily my next stop from there was to Burlington (like 4 min of flying away), and from the time the flying completed in VFR but gloomy conditions with 5,000 ft ceilings, and we went in for hand shakes and signing documents and writing a thank you check, it became necessary to file an IFR flight plan for the 4 min flight as the weather bearing down from the west came in (which would soon be ice, and snow closing off any possibility of a flight home).  So 4 min of IFR flying and an approach into BTV and then I dropped off the plane for some scheduled avionics upgrades - rented a car and drove home 3.5 hrs in ugly weather.  With a commercial ticket in my pocket.  Then I retrieved my plane in gorgeous sunny weather about a week later with a new EDM830.

• Like 2