new sim rules for ifr currency in effect

DXB

I am not ready to pay 5amu  for my own home sim to stay current. But I imagine this will make it trivially cheap and easy to find one to rent for a couple hours to stay legal at least?  For proficiency,, nothing seems to beat flying approaches in actual.  

https://www.flyingmag.com/stay-ifr-current-at-home?src=SOC&doc=fb&fbclid=IwAR0wi4F4macsARMZBqe6yIjtXTy5OOLM53JWxE3-j5KCDajg_WG9a9G3hxA

• Like 1

The rules change is interesting...

It allows the pilot to make the judgement call...

Did you fly the desk through the proper number of approaches and holds, or did you pencil whip the log book instead?

Early on in my IR flying I was surprised by how easy it was to fly IFR and not get any actual approaches in...

Nothing beats actual, but logging a bunch of desk flown approaches, is better than losing currency altogether...

Of course, I have thousands of hours of desk flown Bravo time flown in MSFS... and my IR has been dormant for years...

This gives me a ray Of hope of getting back in that saddle somewhere out in the future...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

The rules change is interesting...

It allows the pilot to make the judgement call...

Did you fly the desk through the proper number of approaches and holds, or did you pencil whip the log book instead?

Early on in my IR flying I was surprised by how easy it was to fly IFR and not get any actual approaches in...

Nothing beats actual, but logging a bunch of desk flown approaches, is better than losing currency altogether...

Of course, I have thousands of hours of desk flown Bravo time flown in MSFS... and my IR has been dormant for years...

This gives me a ray Of hope of getting back in that saddle somewhere out in the future...

Best regards,

-a-

Is noteworthy that this judgement call was all ready being made.  Did he go burn 100 ll by himself and pencil whip it, or w a private pilot as a safety pilot and pencil whip it. It's just now he can do so in a simulator as well. 

9 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Not that I’m ready to spend time behind the desk but is it mandatory to buy a certified unit or can one be built to the same specs?

I looked into this a bit, perhaps not enough to be 100% definitive, but the FAA's definition of what an ATD is is fairly soft.   They seem to approve them on the basis of "we know one when we see it", and there are only a few that have approval (e.g., those listed in the cited article).     There is no list that I could find that says, "If it does this and this and this and has this then it qualifies."   There are some short lists of pertinent characteristics, but nothing definitive that says "It is an ATD if it has these things."

6 hours ago, EricJ said:

I looked into this a bit, perhaps not enough to be 100% definitive, but the FAA's definition of what an ATD is is fairly soft.   They seem to approve them on the basis of "we know one when we see it", and there are only a few that have approval (e.g., those listed in the cited article).     There is no list that I could find that says, "If it does this and this and this and has this then it qualifies."   There are some short lists of pertinent characteristics, but nothing definitive that says "It is an ATD if it has these things."

I think you have to build it using certain hardware, and then the FAA has to actually look at it and certify it

• Like 1

One if the reasons for the rule change was the growing recognition of how efficient, and more important, effective, simulations are for learning and proficiency.

I've  never been a major user (the rule change that we no longer need an instructor for them to count may lead me to integrate it more). The first time I was in an approved one was the early 1990s. It was my first IPC (ICC then). Old technology. Rudimentary. But even that ancient thing had its advantages - very sensitive controls and zero biofeedback meant your scan had to be good. The airplane was easier.

Edited by midlifeflyer
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I think you have to build it using certain hardware, and then the FAA has to actually look at it and certify it

That's my understanding as well, but there's not a clear list or complete guidance on the hardware requirements, that I could find, anyway.

• Like 1

I think this is much of it: 

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/advisory_circulars/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentID/1034348

I'd guess more stuff lives here somewhere:

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/nsp/

Honestly, I'd love to be able to afford one and put it at the local airport, maybe with a credit card swipe :)

Edited by Steve W

On 11/28/2018 at 1:32 PM, thinwing said:

I wouldn't mind a simulator...the problem is it would have to match my current setup..Garmin G500,Avidyne ird 540/440,BK kfc225 Autopilot in order to properly simulate my approach and tracking

Well - I think there is quite a gap between legally and current anyway.  SO do whatever they want to keep legal and do whatever you need in addition to feel current.

Funny I was thinking the other day that it seems like 80% of my "in actual" approaches are RNAV24 into my home KPTD.  I pull the chart out every time but heck if I don't have RNAV24 into KPTD memorized.