What would your priority be on the potential upgrade below??

pkofman

3 hours ago, kortopates said:

Sounds like you haven't flown behind one of the GTN's or Avidyne's yet? Frankly, Aspen's make me yawn, like a pair of G5's with double selectable inputs for 2 navcoms/gps's with very little AP integration - but with all due respect to those that fly with one. 

before I purchased the mooney, I was a member of tx flight club.  all the planes have AC and garmin gtn 650''s or gtn 750s.  all great.

I'd  agree they are all shiny but  brass to tacks theres about 1 or 2 steps more capability, why would you spend the money???  esp with a flightstream.   flightstream is cool!'

flightstream I give a rats ass about Victor flyways

• Like 1

before I purchased the mooney, I was a member of tx flight club.  all the planes have AC and garmin gtn 650''s or gtn 750s.  all great.
I'd  agree they are all shiny but  brass to tacks theres about 1 or 2 steps more capability, why would you spend the money???  esp with a flightstream.   flightstream is cool!'
flightstream I give a rats ass about Victor flyways

Cool - you obviously have some experience with them this then. But quite as bit of cool new features that really add new capabilities starting with the much improved graphics I know you are familiar. But also new leg capabilities like the heading leg so common on missed approach segments and departures and RF leg segments that open up new approaches (something that the Avidyne boxes can't fly) and the VNAV capabilities are amazing when you consider it's integrated into your autopilot! Voice commands are slick too, but the FS510 which transfers all DB updates seemlessly is also really cool. IMO it's a very big step forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/28/2018 at 1:14 PM, gsxrpilot said:

Since you're working in USD anyway... you could do the whole IFD540 upgrade without talking to your avionics shop. Just do everything through the mail with Chase at AvionicsSource. He's in Seattle, so almost Canadian. ;)

Actually, hes in Vancouver, and ships from Seattle for us Yanks

• Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 9:42 PM, pkofman said:

Ive asked this type of question in the past but im thinkng about tinkering with some new avionics

I have a 1998 Bravo TLS  . it has a g5. and a 530w and flightstream 210  .Given  the equipment in the plane would you prioitize a Aspen Pro 1000 or a GTN750 . What would you choose 

I can do one or the other, not both.. ( im not a fan of the g5 but it will suffice if i had to keep it. )

What is your opinion and choice. 

Peter

This is a no brainer. 750 of course and sell the 530W. You can trade it for a 750 installed for roughly $11000. Or may do a little better if you sell the 530W on your own. That's excellent value retention that you can leverage to your advantage considering a 430W cost that much new. You give up that advantage and limit yourself greatly when you swap it for an Avidyne. 

Edited by m20kmooney

Thanks for all of the replies, Love this place! Tons of good solid debate and opinion..

I bit the bullet!! Keeping the 530w for now

I'm installing the aspen, I needed a bunch of stuff (ea100)  so that it works and I'm going to  have to use the g5 I bought last year as a back up ( shop says its something to do with the way we set things up last yr. ). Tie in the lynx 9000+.  ( question as whether to flush mount of not?)  So plane flew to the shop yesterday,  upgrade complete in a few weeks. Thank you all for your advice and discussion. I'll post a pic once complete to compare

• Like 1