Traffic Display on GNS430W with Dual G5 and GTX-345

glenv6

1 hour ago, glenv6 said:

Note:  The latest software update on the 430W enables a G5 protocol on only one 429 port, freeing up the other port for the Traffic interface from the GTX345.  However, the STC has not yet been approved to support this configuration.

I'm pretty sure I could find a radio shop here in Texas that would do the install without waiting for the STC. Just put it on the 337 for a field approval. You can be pretty sure the STC will get done, it's just a matter of time. A friendly FSDO should recognize that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'm pretty sure I could find a radio shop here in Texas that would do the install without waiting for the STC. Just put it on the 337 for a field approval. You can be pretty sure the STC will get done, it's just a matter of time. A friendly FSDO should recognize that.

If not, come to California for a bit and I will take care of you!

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 11:14 AM, gsxrpilot said:

I am wondering how much a field approval would cost?  Keep in mind that it’s just the traffic piece on the 430 we’re talking about.  Weather shows up, and all of the navigation integration works (really well).  If Garmin issues updates to their paperwork in Q1, the wait isn’t that bad.

• 3 weeks later...

SB 1762 rev A (software version v5.4) does not change STC requirements for 3rd party autopilots, which requires dual ARINC inputs from GAD29B to 430W. Therefore you won't get weather or traffic on your 430W/530W, since you must disconnect the ARINC channel from GTX345 to GNS430W/530W.  The SB is super confusing as it makes you believe that it reduces the need of dual ARINC inputs, since it says: "Added ARINC 429 input for G5Dual ARINC 429 inputs to the GNS from the G5 are no longer necessary". If you follow the SB, it appears to work, but you can get unexpected behavior, such as lateral oscillation in GPSS mode tracking magenta line.  Basically, there are non-obvious, and potentially dangerous side effects.  Garmin will tell you not to follow their own SB, and that it does not overrule the STC.  They likely thought it would work, did not sufficiently test it, and now wished they never would have written the SB as it is.  The solution of using Foreflight (or Garmin Pilot) to display weather and traffic is a workaround, but not the real solution (at least for me), since iPad tend to overheat during summer time. I want the weather and traffic also on the GNS display.  Garmin really needs to fix this, since they screwed this up, and the only fix is another software update to the GNS430W, which they haven ot committed to.

Bumping this just to see if anyone has this setup working - gtx345, dual g5s, gad29b to stec 30, gns-430w with traffic and weather.

ie- does it still require both aric 429 ports on the 430w if you install 2 g5s and gad 29b and thus losing the gtx345 info on the 430w?

7 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

Any idea if your setup uses the gad29b?  I think that’s where tge dual arinc requirement comes from.

Trig said something about it on Beechtalk but I ain’t no BT member!

I believe the GFC500 shouldn't need the GAD29b. My understanding from this thread was that the original STC required both inputs for the G5, which would not allow the input from the 345.

49 minutes ago, toto said:

I believe the GFC500 shouldn't need the GAD29b. My understanding from this thread was that the original STC required both inputs for the G5, which would not allow the input from the 345.

Yep, agreed.  I’m just hoping they’ve fixed that issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2018 at 9:42 PM, Ragsf15e said:

Any idea if your setup uses the gad29b?  I think that’s where tge dual arinc requirement comes from.

Trig said something about it on Beechtalk but I ain’t no BT member!

The GFC 500 doesn't require the two 429 inputs on the 430W. You currently only need both inputs with non garmin auto pilots. 

You need the GAD 29b if you want nav and gps information to show up on the G5 HSI.

• 6 months later...
On 12/1/2018 at 5:42 AM, glenv6 said:

Thanks, I just asked and they are aware.  The shop referred me to the "Certification Authorization" section of SB 1762 Rev A, which says, "TSO Authorization does not provide installation airworthiness approval.  Separate installation airworthiness approval is required for type certified aircraft.  Notification of of revision to Garmin's STC(s) will be provided under a separate service bulletin."  My shop will wire it correctly once the STC is updated.

Come in for a visit.  You are ok to do this.