Nickel cylinders

Bravoman

There is an article in the  latest edition of the AOPA magazine written by a Mooney owner who  keeps his plane in  humid climates wherein he discusses the propriety of nickel plating of cylinders versus chrome versus steel.  The gist of the article was that he was about to get his continental overhauled, and had researched the best way to go. It sounds like there are some proponents of chrome, but it also sounds like that chrome  is a less durable material than nickel. He very  much talked up nickel for rust prevention and durability.  I was wondering what folks experience was with  nickel and chrome cylinders, and whether the upsides outweigh any downsides, and whether they are worth the extra cost.

Regards, Frank

I have them for almost 9 years and about 900 hours on my TSIO-360 LB.  Lowest cylinder on a cold compression check is 72. One is still 78 and the others are 74-76. I’m on the coast in southeastern NC so corrosion was a prime concern over traditional steel cylinders. When I have my motor overhauled I will specify nickel once again. 

This is not really new technology, other markers have been using nickel cylinders for over 20 years. No one ever seems to worry about cylinder corrosion on Japanese motorcycles and most sit for months or years at a time. All the manufacturers switched to nickel a long time ago. It is just becoming recognized in aviation. 

History showed proper break in procedures were very important...

no matter what coating is used...

Follow the procedure, get the results...

Chrome proved more sensitive to missing steps or improper break-in...

The internet, has really improved the ability of pilots to understand what they are doing and why they are doing it... they have the resources to go to... if they miss something, they can ask....

There is so much involved with engine life, cylinder coatings are easy to replace... compared to cams and lifters...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-