Preflight De-Ice

L. Trotter

So, the cold weather is upon us and even though you may not have TKS panels and FIKI capability, you may find frost, snow or even ice on your plane that needs to be managed prior to any flight. The days of "polishing" frost smooth prior to flight were officially deemed unacceptable by the FAA Feb 2010. I've seen guys scrape surfaces with an ice remover, credit card or just a gloved finger. If you don't have access to a heated hanger here is a cheap, quick and effective alternative.

I used an empty spray bottle with 91% isopropyl alcohol and a little TKS fluid (mixed 75/25). I sprayed a portion of the wing the night prior and the frost literally just wiped off while untreated areas were rather adherent. Spraying adherent frost/ice the morning of was also painless but took a little extra time and perhaps a little more fluid. I used about 1 qt. for the entire plane. Cost was under $3.00. The best part.....essentially no elbow grease and no damage to paint.

• Like 5

So, the cold weather is upon us and even though you may not have TKS panels and FIKI capability, you may find frost, snow or even ice on your plane that needs to be managed prior to any flight. The days of "polishing" frost smooth prior to flight were officially deemed unacceptable by the FAA Feb 2010. I've seen guys scrape surfaces with an ice remover, credit card or just a gloved finger. If you don't have access to a heated hanger here is a cheap, quick and effective alternative. I used an empty spray bottle with 91% isopropyl alcohol and a little TKS fluid (mixed 75/25). I sprayed a portion of the wing the night prior and the frost literally just wiped off while untreated areas were rather adherent. Spraying adherent frost/ice the morning of was also painless but took a little extra time and perhaps a little more fluid. I used about 1 qt. for the entire plane. Cost was under $3.00. The best part.....essentially no elbow grease and no damage to paint.
Sorry-I don't know how to add video (there are 2 of them)

You have a YouTube account? Easy to upload them and share the link.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I watched them easily on an iPad...

LT must have updated the link?

An interesting MS style controlled experiment...

Showing how to melt some snow and ice, and make it easier to remove on freezes the following day...

Better than the RV water tank anti-freeze I have seen used on rental/school planes...

Best regards,

-a-

Well, where the hell were you two days ago??? LOL. 
Found myself at a dark airport, with my plane in the Visitor area, after watching the Grey Cup in Edmonton. Walked up to an aircraft entirely covered in frost. The extra clothes, mitts, towels, etc all came out to brush off the frost. Got it started up, did an extended run up to get oil temps up, and flew off. 
This might have saved me 20 minutes. 

so for us southerners who don't have TKS fluid laying around,   Here is the TKS MSDS  https://www.tksfluid.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/TKS-MSDS.pdf

Here is the MSDS for RV anti freeze    http://www.chemicalspec.com/Winter_Care_4060_RV_Antifreeze.pdf

So etholene glycol or propolyne glycol with alkeehol.

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

has anyone tested WD-40?    Can someone run a battery of tests and let us know the best off the walmart shelf solution?

@Piloto

Jose is the guru of WD-40

He is also working on an STC for running 98.6 degree urine along the leading edge in icing conditions. The anti-icing version is for single pilot operations. For FIKI you need one hydrated pilot and at least one fully hydrated passenger. :D

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, L. Trotter said:

Riverton, WYO (KRIW). Landed at 5pm. Temp was 7ºF. Had frost on wings within 20 min.

It was below freezing the entire time up here. 20F to probably around 7F when we got back to the plane. Humidity is typically non existent where I'm at, so didn't even think about it. Unfortunate part, airport was on the West end of the Lake.