Anyone use Savvy MX?

JRam

There are several here that use them. One of the companies reps is a member here. I’ve heard Mostly good things. They can ask the right questions to shops when needed. 

Im sure more will chime in. I read your avionics issues post, the GTN’s I’ve found problematic with many of the comm settings. You AP issue sounds about like SOP for a King AP.

-Matt

To the OP, you can engage @kortopates on here.  Paul is a key stakeholder in the Savvy MX business...aligning his focus primarily to Mooney owners, pilots and operators.  He is also a regular contributor here, who is kind enough to share his time, expertise, and can provide guidance to your question(s).

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ask away...

Often people will post their engine graphs...

Ask questions...

Get answers...

Learn things about maintenance...

Learn things about operations... LOP, GAMMI spreads

Learn things about oddities...

• like sticky valves and what it looks like on a JPI graph...saw tooth pattern...
  • finding a bad spark plug
  • finding a blocked fuel injector

And they have that whole other resource for getting assistance when disabled far from home... or comparing what other people are using for engine oil in the same engine...

Paul has been incredibly helpful bridging his company’s skills, with ordinary pilots and plane owners...

What do you have in mind?

Best regards,

-a-

They recommend a 2 sec capture resolution for everything across the board. At the same time, since the wobbly valve analysis is just "best effort", they probably can't say. As soon as they answer the question and then fail to identify the wobbly valve, they'll get sued.

I'm a subscriber as well and upload all my flights from my EDM-900 set to the 2 sec resolution.

Regardless their "best effort" is better than mine, and can't hurt.

• Like 1

JIM,

The fastest capture rate isn’t anywhere near the operating speed of the valve...

The jpi is only going to catch individual points from different parts of the cycle...

Yet the graphs generate a inform saw toothed repetition in some cases...

I’m not sure how they get such a uniform sawtooth pattern out of it...

It would take somebody like @kortopates to possibly explain how that happens...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, Jim Peace said:

I have asked before and never received an answer on what capture rate they need to see stuck valves etc. 

would like to know. And I am a subscriber. 

Just to be clear, sticking valves a.k.a. "morning sickness" is different from wobbly valves also mentioned above which I think was in the context of FEVA - our Failed Exhaust Valve Analysis algorithm which is executed automatically when you upload data to Savvy and then used to alert subscribers of potential failed/burnt exhaust valves. The burnt exhaust valve can often be recognized because the valve is sticking in rotation - not sticking closed or open - which results in a what we call a FEVA EGT pattern recognized by our software.

To detect morning sickness when the valve sticks (i.e. is not opening and closing properly), we need your engine analyzer recording at engine startup. All the TSO'd for primary analyzers are wired to the main buss (as required by being primary) so that they are on when the engine is started. Often the sticking valve only last a few seconds after startup while the oil is cold and then stops sticking as it warms until the day comes when it starts sticking in cruise leading to a bent pushrod or worse. The non-primary engine analyzers are often wired into the avionics buss and therefore aren't on when the engine is started so that we are likely to miss a sticking valve at startup unless it sticks long enough to caught when your monitor does come on line. But we've still caught a few here in Mooney's with non primary monitors.

For data capture rate, we (I) want to see your fastest supported rate upto 1 sec. Many of the non-primary ones only support a 2 sec rate, like the EDM-830 or the older 700 series which is actually a good compromise with those with smaller memory. Some like the Avidyne only support a 6 sec rate (which is terrible for getting good data resolution). But most of the primary ones including the EDM 900 series support a 1 sec rate which is the best rate for diagnostic value e.g., getting good gami data and interpreting LOP Mag checks. For example, for the LOP Mag check we need to see a minimum of 10 data points on each individual mag as well as on both in between isolated mags while EGTs fall back down to stabilize; or minimum of 30 sec (since 10 sec with the 1 sec capture rate is sill too short). But with a 6 sec default data rate, that takes a full minute to get 10 data points that are very far apart and not nearly as good data as 30 sec at 1 sec rate for seeing issues.

Some of you may know that while you have your modern EDM monitor is in "Lean Find LOP or ROP" mode the analyzer switches to 1 sec data rate on it's own, but that short period is not enough when we are trying to diagnose engine anomalies and looking at data in all phases of flight. We want the data capture rate at a constant 1-2 sec rate; which ever your monitor supports. 

This is also covered in our Savvy Test profile document online at Savvy http://content.savvyanalysis.com/static/pdf/SavvyAnalysisFlightTestProfiles.pdf  

• Like 4

I know I might have beat this horse to death... but I wouldn't own a Mooney without a good quality, modern, data logging, engine monitor. And the best thing you can do for your engine monitor is use SavvyAnalysis. All you CB's can even get a free subscription. But if you're at all serious about the health and longevity of your engine. A good engine monitor and SavvyAnalysis is the hot ticket.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kortopates said:

This is also covered in our Savvy Test profile document online at Savvy http://content.savvyanalysis.com/static/pdf/SavvyAnalysisFlightTestProfiles.pdf  

Thank you, I have the EDM 900 and I think it defaults to a 6 second capture.  When I get back to my plane I will change it to 1 second,  and download and then upload the new data.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

I wouldn't own a Mooney without a good quality, modern, data logging, engine monitor. 

After seeing what I can see with the EDM 900 I would not own any airplane nor want to fly in a plane without one.  kind of right up there with shoulder harness, CO monitor and 406 ELT.  Should be mandatory.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2018 at 5:27 AM, JRam said:

Is anyone using the full savvy maintenance product? I'd like to ask a few questions of other users.

@JRam, I was a Savvy maintenance management customer for a couple years on a Cirrus that I previously owned. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

44 minutes ago, JRam said:

Thanks to all, I got my questions answered and am good to go! Really appreciate the Mooneyspace community!

Wouldn't mind hearing your questions and answers if you'd be open to sharing. My insurance provider just started providing Savvy maintenance as part of my policy at no cost. 

Wouldn't mind hearing your questions and answers if you'd be open to sharing. My insurance provider just started providing Savvy maintenance as part of my policy at no cost. 

I think you mean Breakdown Assistance rather than Maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

Note that Savvy has several different products. The breakdown assistance that comes with Global Aero insurance is different from the full mx product (it's like a $150 product vs a $750 product). The analysis service mentioned above is a third product that also has a free and a paid option. 

49 minutes ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

My questions were just around the clarification on how Savvy operates its MX product beyond what their website discusses. @kortopates was an amazing ambassador for them by walking me through their product offering and expected results from using the product.