USB Plug in rear seat

NotarPilot

I'm considering installing one or two USB plugs in the rear, just in front of the arm rest and wondering if anyone has done this.  I believe this is a minor alteration that would only require a logbook entry BUT I would have to run hot wires to the plugs so maybe that makes it iffy.  Has anyone done something like this?

11-14866c.jpg11-14866a.jpg

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/usb-adapter.php?clickkey=6431

12.jpg

There have been similar instances of people adding cigarette lighter style plugs around the hat shelf for old-style portable equipment...

Some people have the battery back there already...

Also see a similar funky plug for plugging in a battery charger...

Expect to add a fuse with your wires and plugs...

Some modern Mooneys also have lights added back there...  so there is known ways of having power added to the back of the cabin...

Great time to bring stereo headphones back there as well...or adjust what you have there already...

Does that help any?

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

There have been similar instances of people adding cigarette lighter style plugs around the hat shelf for old-style portable equipment...

Some people have the battery back there already...

Also see a similar funky plug for plugging in a battery charger...

Expect to add a fuse with your wires and plugs...

Some modern Mooneys also have lights added back there...  so there is known ways of having power added to the back of the cabin...

Great time to bring stereo headphones back there as well...

Does that help any?

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

Yes, you actually gave me an idea of maybe adding a map light back there for night flights with pax in the back.  Very rare actually but I think it would be cool.  Good idea of running the power straight from the battery instead of running wires off the panel and connecting it to the master.  Only concern would be battery drain while the engine is not running.  But as long as nothing is plugged in it shouldn't be an issue, right?

9 hours ago, bradp said:

Would recommend against having your battery connected directly to a switched map light (or USB if it could be left with something plugged in). Multiple instances of dead batteries on the forum...

If you have a battery in the back, you also have the master solenoid. As long as you put the wire on the correct side of the solenoid, it will turn on and off with the master switch.

8 hours ago, Boilermonkey said:

I would install a cigarette lighter outlet. Usb voltages, amps, interfaces, etc. change too fast.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have two cigarette lighter outlets, two USB outlets on my MD93 and two UBS outlets from my two IFDs all in the front cockpit.  When my wife flies she usually sits in the back with our son.  She usually likes to charge her phone.  I figured it would nicer is the cords didn’t have to stretch to the front to the back.

11 hours ago, Boilermonkey said:

I would install a cigarette lighter outlet. Usb voltages, amps, interfaces, etc. change too fast.

I put a cigarette lighter outlet on each side of the rear seating area in front of the seat toward the floor.   The avionics shop selected the location for a number of practical reasons and they work well.

And I totally agree that spending a lot less on the generic power sockets (aka cigarette lighter) makes much more sense than committing to a particular adapter.   Also, this allows changing the USB adapter not only as the standards change, but if it winds up being noisy or just craps out.

Edited by EricJ