Flying to New York

Candy man

What are the odds for good weather on December 19 from Ohio to NY? Not good. If it was a summer trip likelihood would be good weather. But if it was a "must-be-there" meeting with the chances of snow, ice, etc. I would plan ahead to go commercial.

Best options

1) Fly commercial to JFK and rent a car - at the moment $155 for a one way ticket that day: https://www.expedia.com/Flights-Search?flight-type=on&starDate=12%2F19%2F2018&mode=search&trip=oneway&leg1=from%3AColumbus%2C+OH+(CMH-John+Glenn+Columbus+Intl.)%2Cto%3ANew+York%2C+NY+(JFK-John+F.+Kennedy+Intl.)%2Cdeparture%3A12%2F19%2F2018TANYT&passengers=children%3A1[5]%2Cadults%3A1%2Cseniors%3A0%2Cinfantinlap%3AY&fareCalendarPrice=154

Likely  $155 wouldn't pay the ramp fees at the FBO at JFK.

2) Drive.    https://www.mapquest.com/directions/list/1/us/oh/columbus/to/us/ny/sheepshead-bay

If the day of the trip everything looks good for a trip there and back, then fly your Mooney into JFK and consider the $155 commercial airline ticket you bought as insurance.

Republic to the East...

Linden to the West...

Both OK if you are going to rent a car...

Uber is probably an option.

@201er and another MSer are based at Linden...

Traffic on the ground will be getting heavier by the hour around there at that time of year...

Sounds like a good trip! :)

Best regards,

-a-

A good rule of thumb is try not to need to cross more than one set of bridges or tunnels if possible.  Avoid the LIE and CBE if possible. 

ISP FRG or HPN are your options... JFK if in and out in the same day is an option but you’ll need to / want to avoid peak fees and the hourly (aircraft) parking you’ll pay (if I recall correctly last time I inquired).

Weather across the Allegehenies is going to be the biggest challenge. Just because you make it on one leg doesn’t mean diddly for safety for the return.  All the winter clouds around JST and AOO have icing - commonly a layer at 5000 or so that’s a couple of thousand feet thick (it’s all lake effect that gets caught in a bowl around d Johnstown).  Lots of aopa safety videos about icing encounters there.  Terrain unforgiving.  @BradB has a lot of experience flying winter weather in the region.  

I flew into Farmingdale (KFRG) a few years back. Sheltair, IIRC, was around $12/day there and the LIRR is not far and will take you right into the city. As an added bonus, I had an alternator issue on the ground there and it exposed a cracked spinner bulkhead. There was a Mooney Service Center on the field that got me back up and out of there. 

Yes, @bradp, I assume that there is always ice in those clouds.    And you can't always rely on the pireps ahead.  I have flown minutes behind someone who reported no ice and at the same altitude, I was clearly picking up moderate.

I use the skew-t's to know where the tops are and know the temps aloft.   Plan on climbing up through quickly and getting down through quickly - don't plan on hanging out in the clouds at all.  And this is assuming FIKI.    Top the TKS, put Ice-X on the boots ( @Pilotohave you tried that on the leading edge?).

Look at the altitudes that you will need for the approaches into your airport, consider how long you may be in the clouds for that.

If you get assigned an unfavorable altitude, say something - don't wait until it is an emergency.    I have never had a problem working with any controllers for safer altitude (offer to go up, down or take a vector out of it).

Happy to provide any more specifics if you want.

Brad

Edited by BradB
  • Like 1

I fly to NYC quite often from Buffalo. My airport of choice used to be TEB, I really enjoyed flying in there. Meridian is fairly reasonable too. 15 gallons of fuel will waive one overnight fee and ramp fees. They will also drive you to the bus stop that will take you into port authority.

A couple times, years apart, I ended up needing some light maintenance at Meridian and they really don't have much equipment for piston aircraft and I got into it a little bit with the maintenance staff and since then I've avoided going to TEB. CDW is a better option. Cheaper avgas, very GA friendly and very close to Manhattan. There's a bus stop in the Willowbrook Mall that will take you straight to Port Authority for $8 and it only takes about a half hour.

Most of the time, if they are not too busy the FBO will drive you over to the mall or an Uber/Lyft is about $8 to the mall. Or you can always Uber into the city too for like $50.

Looks like with where you need to go though, FRG may be your best option.

Thanks for all the advice. It’s a trip I’d like to make not one I have to. If the weather is good and the forecast for the 20th is also good I’ll give it a go. No messing around in the clouds in December in Ohio PA or NY. Maybe I’ll get lucky.

Lawrence