Panel upgrade, looking for opinions

Zulee

As it turns out, both the trio and the trutrak will work without a Aspen or insert efis brand here____, but only needs gps for nav guidance. It’s tapped into pitot static system and allows baro to be selected right on the face of the autopilot. Garmin is not only the most expensive, but it comes off the line as the most incomplete. While having an efis onboard would be a nice luxury... it turns out that it’s not necessary to spend an extra 10 grand or more to get a capable digital autopilot at almost 1/3rd of the garmin cost.

They almost had me suckered in until I did a little research. So for now, I’ll limp along with the  century legacy autopilot and wait while the faa drags their feet for however long it takes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a little bit since I have provided a panel update, so here we go.

I honestly thought I had this all figured out when I delivered my J to Ron Collins Avionics in Henderson, KY in mid November but how little did I know.  First of all I want to thank all the folks on MS for providing input on how best to spend my money :-) and thank goodness there were no shortage of passion and opinion...loved it!!

So at this phase of the process all decisions have been made and here are some photos of how things are shaping up.

Beyond the obvious in these pictures, I am installing GTX345, GMA345, Stratus USB ports and Flightstream 210

I considered the EDM900 but just ran out of money...so that upgrade will be next on the list and probably at the time the Aspens are upgraded to Max.

Panel ready for powder coat.JPG

Panel Prototype.JPG

Steam guage removal.JPG

Yoke refinishing.JPG

Panel cutting begins.JPG

Instrument preview.JPG

One wiring harness.JPG

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After 3 months of deciding what, where and how much...I picked up my J from Ron Collins Aviation in Henderson, KY and brought her home to KSUS.  The transformation was truly amazing and I can't say enough about the avionics shop, their workmanship and dealing with my ongoing questions and changes.

The flight home with my friend flying right wing was VFR and I am glad it was...I have a lot to learn about this EFIS stuff :)

Panel Complete.jpg

• Like 4

After 3 months of deciding what, where and how much...I picked up my J from Ron Collins Aviation in Henderson, KY and brought her home to KSUS.  The transformation was truly amazing and I can't say enough about the avionics shop, their workmanship and dealing with my ongoing questions and changes.
The flight home with my friend flying right wing was VFR and I am glad it was...I have a lot to learn about this EFIS stuff

All that and you could not replace the old analog clock? :-)

Tom

The flight home with my friend flying right wing was VFR and I am glad it was...I have a lot to learn about this EFIS stuff
1647564113_PanelComplete.thumb.jpg.8eb4f0a3e3e14f0ce315eb94682f5109.jpg

I like your design!

ded69fae99810b4584b9efdfa54b65c9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

On 2/9/2019 at 10:57 AM, Zulee said:

The flight home with my friend flying right wing was VFR and I am glad it was...I have a lot to learn about this EFIS stuff :)

Panel Complete.jpg

Flight home.mov

I was about to ask why you didn't do an engine monitor, but I see it now. Looks great!!