Stratux

DonMuncy

I built a Stratux for use with my iPad. It worked OK when I was using Foreflight. Then I switched to FlyQ. Somewhere along the line I stopped getting my georeferenced icon on the iPad. Does anyone have any idea about how to go about trouble shooting the problem?

I would like to work on it here at home if I can.

6 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Start with the stratux status page see if it is getting data  http://192.168.10.1

See about configuring FLYQ to attach to stratux

1 minute ago, DonMuncy said:

Yetti, You apparently are unaware you are dealing with a techno-idiot here. The stratux status page? Where?

Make sure that your iPad is connected to the Stratux, or you can connect a laptop via Wifi to the Stratux. Open up a web browser and then put http://192.168.10.1 into the address bar. It will pull up a status page and allow for different diagnostics as well as settings.

Turn on wifi on your ipad

Connect to the stratux network

If you ipad has a data plan then put in airplane mode, then do the above steps.

Then open up internet browser and type in  http://192.168.10.1

The stratux page should come up. If it don't then you are not connected to Stratux

Edited by Yetti

Probably.   by having the phone network on, your DNS was picking up the DHCP server from the phone network. So your IP address was out of wack.  With the phone network off, you could use the DHCP server out of the raspberry pi and get the right IP address.

Just now, DonMuncy said:

Stranger yet. Now I disconnect power to the stratux, and my iPad still shows the dot. Is it getting its location through my home router somehow?

No it is using the Integral GPS to the IPad that comes with the Phone network IPads.   Just Wifi Ipads don't have a integral GPS

Don,

One tech deficient guy sharing the woe with another...

I have a new iPad/no gps...

From the kitchen table...its blue dot comes and goes every few minutes... so it somehow knows where it is... only connected via WiFi to the internet...

it is not tethered to the iPhone with gps...

No idea how this happens...

Using WingX to See the blue dot...

Best regards,

-a-

Don, I use a WiFi only iPad.

All you need to do is go to the WiFi setting on your iPad and confirm it is connected to Stratux. If it isn't, connect manually by tapping on it. Being in airplane mode or not doesn't matter.

When connected, it will say "No internet connection." That just means you can't browse the internet and read posts in this forum. Stratus is designed to an ADS-B and GPS tool which connects to your tablet using WiFi rather than Bluetooth or plugs and wires. It's not designed to be a full internet router.

And yes, you will often see the blue dot even with no GPS connection. The iPad looks around for WiFi and, even if it can't connect, can use the ones it "sees" to get some limited location information.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

Don, I use a WiFi only iPad.

All you need to do is go to the WiFi setting on your iPad and confirm it is connected to Stratux. If it isn't, connect manually by tapping on it. Being in airplane mode or not doesn't matter.

When connected, it will say "No internet connection." That just means you can't browse the internet and read posts in this forum. Stratus is designed to an ADS-B and GPS tool which connects to your tablet using WiFi rather than Bluetooth or plugs and wires. It's not designed to be a full internet router.

And yes, you will often see the blue dot even with no GPS connection. The iPad looks around for WiFi and, even if it can't connect, can use the ones it "sees" to get some limited location information.

Thanks for the info. This is in accord with what I am seeing. But if the iPad says it is connected to Stratux, but no georeferenced icon, what do you check next.

2 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

Thanks for the info. This is in accord with what I am seeing. But if the iPad says it is connected to Stratux, but no georeferenced icon, what do you check next.

Hard to say. 

Others mentioned the Stratux status pages. @Yetti told you how. Once Stratux shows as connected in Settings, open up the Safari browser and type   http://192.168.10.1  in the address box. A Stratux page with a menu in the upper left should come up. You an use the menu to go to the GPS/AHRS page and confirm you are receiving the signals. Note that if you are indoors, the GPS signal might not be strong enough to show position, but something will show it is working.

You might find it easier, though to confirm through FlyQ itself. In the upper right hand corner there are a series of small icons for GPS, WX, etc. Don' worry which of those you tap; it's rely all one icon. It will open up a panel which looks like this. You can see the GPS status and it's source as well as the ADS-B connection. If the Stratus GPS isn't working, the top one will show the iPad as the source (even with a WiFi only GPS)

image.png.8649b344dbbc81782cd7ad56d70229c8.png

Edited by midlifeflyer
  • Like 1