What causes this?

warren.huisman

The engine would stumble on the right mag. This is what I found while troubleshooting this. It appears that the globe of metal is shorting the plug. Looks almost like solder. What causes this to happen?a8ea98c35a440e4e26332e3a0e193198.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be lead. And it is caused by not leaning aggressively enough on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Great pic, Warren!

often, with the lead build up, you can get small balls that settle in the bottom plugs...

Lead build up occurs when the cylinders are cold, and the mixture is rich...

Often, people lean aggressively on the ground... less free lead to deposit, cylinders heat up quicker...  less CO to breath...  all good...

PP thoughts only...

-a-

On the ground, I pull the mixture about 2/3 to Idle. The engine runs fine, but will stumble if I advance the throttle to taxi uphill. Haven't had lead on my (massive) plugs for at least the last 8 years. Fine wires should be more resistant to lead fouling. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hank said:

On the ground, I pull the mixture about 2/3 to Idle. The engine runs fine, but will stumble if I advance the throttle to taxi uphill. Haven't had lead on my (massive) plugs for at least the last 8 years. Fine wires should be more resistant to lead fouling. 

This, though I can't get much past 1/3 to idle. Also, a very good idea to lean very aggressively on the ground so you cannot apply takeoff power without remembering to enrichen the mixture. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Yetti said:

In warm weather I am 1/3 of mixture.  In cold weather more like half mixture.   I was taught to keep the rpms between 1100 -12000 when not taxiing.   Looks like you also need some anti sieze on your spark plug threads.

12000? Turning it a little tight ......:D

• Haha 1

On 11/23/2018 at 10:49 PM, carusoam said:

Water makes for some interesting tracer studies...! 

A great way to visualize airflow as it is strong enough to drag water around with it.... And dirt and stones...

Aunty M, Aunty M, it’s a twister! :)

Thanks for sharing that vid!

Best regards,

-a-

Thank @cujet for noticing and filming it. 

• Like 1