Aspen EFD1000 FAA Airworthines Bulletin

Piloto

Background 
 We were recently notified that there have been numerous reports of Aspen EFD1000 PFD, EFD1000 MFD, EFD1000 EBD, and EFD500 MFD units with software version 2.9 and the ADS-B IN (FIS-B) Weather Interface option repeatedly resetting itself in-flight. The reset occurs between five- to ten minute intervals. During the time of the reset, the pilot might not have any EFD displayed information including access to altitude and airspeed for up to one minute. The cause of this safety issue is currently under investigation; however, preliminary information suggests that the cause of the continuous reset is related to the ADS-B IN interface. Pulling the ADS-B circuit breaker as described in section 3.2.6 of the Flight Manual supplement, has been demonstrated to resolve the issue. 

Recommendations 
 The FAA recommends that owners and operators flying with Aspen EFD1000 and/or EFD500 units with software version 2.9 and the ADS-B IN (FIS-B) Weather Interface option installed restrict flight to Visual Flight Rules only and suspend night operations to allow safe operation in the event of loss of flight display functionality. Alternatively, the FAA recommends disabling the ADS-B IN (FIS-B) option.  

I am keeping my old trusty vacuum gyros.;)

José

34 minutes ago, NotarPilot said:

Why? Because they never fail?

After 36 years (original factory gyros) it will guide my autopilot on an ILS approach down to the numbers. Only thing done to them was an overhaul 6 years ago and replace the vacuum pump (time due). Never got an FAA AD. 

José

At FL140.JPG

Edited by Piloto

6 minutes ago, Piloto said:

After 36 years (original factory gyros) it will guide my autopilot on an ILS approach down to the numbers. Only thing done to them was an overhaul 6 years ago and replace the vacuum pump (time due). Never got an FAA AD. 

José

I have no statistics to back this up but I would guess you’re in a fortunate minority.  Before installing my G5 I had my attitude indicator fail on me.  Conversely I had by G5 indicate “a lean” shortly after installation but that was during flight after refueling where I hopped in the he plane, started up and started taxiing right away.  I don’t think the G5 had an opportunity to align.  I upgraded to the latest software and now I always let it align before starting the engine.  No issues since.

15 minutes ago, NotarPilot said:

I have no statistics to back this up but I would guess you’re in a fortunate minority.  Before installing my G5 I had my attitude indicator fail on me.  Conversely I had by G5 indicate “a lean” shortly after installation but that was during flight after refueling where I hopped in the he plane, started up and started taxiing right away.  I don’t think the G5 had an opportunity to align.  I upgraded to the latest software and now I always let it align before starting the engine.  No issues since.

It should align after engine start or even in-flight after a power failure, it is an FAA requirement for IFR operation.

José

• Like 1

For those interested in the actual problem. 

I believe Garmin experienced much the same issue on the GTN750 last month as I am told. The FAA has recently changed the data stream on the ADS-B weather products. The Garmin GPS was overwhelmed and shut down. Since the GPS is not a primary instrument this was not advertised like the Aspen PFD/MFD . Aspen is experiencing a very similar problem with the ADS-B data stream. The FAA and Aspen are working to resolve this. In the mean time turn off the weather (ADS-B) input to the PFD/MFD units and they will be OK. 

There is NO AD at this time (and probably will not be one)

• Like 2

For those interested in the actual problem. 
I believe Garmin experienced much the same issue on the GTN750 last month as I am told. The FAA has recently changed the data stream on the ADS-B weather products. The Garmin GPS was overwhelmed and shut down. Since the GPS is not a primary instrument this was not advertised like the Aspen PFD/MFD . Aspen is experiencing a very similar problem with the ADS-B data stream. The FAA and Aspen are working to resolve this. In the mean time turn off the weather (ADS-B) input to the PFD/MFD units and they will be OK. 
There is NO AD at this time (and probably will not be one)

Tom - any clue how to shut off the ADS-B stream from a Lynx 9000?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro