The never ending overhaul... advice?

Hey folks,

A year ago I had my flight that screwed up my engine. Over thanksgiving my airplane went into overhaul. There has been a lot of things happen, most of which I've verified through my family in the area, but its been a whole year and my overhaul and now my annual are not done. He's also the only mechanic in the local area. 

The mechanic is friendly enough, not asking for any more money while he works, and always responds to texts and calls, but I'm getting really impatient. I'm paying $600 a month for an airplane I havent been able to fly for the last year.

Any advice? 

2 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Gitmo, you are out of town?

See if somebody can have that discussion for you?

Promises need to be made so they can be kept...

Lay out what you want.  Write it all down...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

Yes, I live in Virginia, the airplane is now in Missouri. I have family within a few miles. He was in a car wreck that took a few months to recover from (verified by my dad), and he's the only local guy handles recoveries and works on the rotary wings for the local emergency services so he spends a lot of time on that too. 

I'll have to see who's around and how I could do that, if he can't accomplish it. 

I'm trying not to be rude, but I also kinda want to text him a list of events that have happened since:

Christmas, first born child was conceived and born, finished two semesters of a PhD program, started a new job, bought two new cars, etc.. the list goes on. Still no airplane

• Like 1

Feels like the classic out of sight, out of mind.  Your airplane has become the filler work.  Best to give him a call and have a discussion.  Ask him what it would take to speed it up and get a target date.  Ask if there are folks he can bring in, most mechanics know others they can pull in.  Text and email is ok for routine stuff, but it is too easy to forget that there is a real person on the other end.  I would personally try to avoid sarcasm unless you know the guy...it may just make things worse...with no options.  A personal visit might be best, perhaps one of our Mooneyspace friends is nearby and itching to fly?

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Is he doing the overhaul, sent it out and is the engine back from overhaul? I cant see this running much more than 5 months tops. I would ask what is taking so long and when I could expect my plane back.

Edited by RLCarter

Sounds like it is time for an in-person visit. An email or text message won’t come across good at this point regardless of the intentions.

Give the guy a call and tell him you want to schedule a time to visit your plane in the next few days. He’ll know the meaning for the visit without you having to elaborate.

Giving him a few days heads-up gives him time to get his ducks in a row ahead of time.

Just for comparison, I recently finished a field overhaul of my engine and all engine accessories, as well as prop and hub. I had no previous experience and had to do all the research myself. I had the assistance of an excellent A&P, but he left me to figure out most of it myself and verified my findings after I dug up all the info for him. I researched multiple vendors for sending parts out to, picked the ones I wanted to use, sent out the parts, made out parts lists, reviewed them with my mechanic, found vendors for the parts, ordered it all, broke down the engine, built it back up, everything in front of the firewall was replaced or overhauled, compiled and reviewed over 700 ADs, service bulletins, letters, and instructions to determine which were applicable, and verified they were complied with. I also installed a new JPI engine monitor replacing the old engine instruments.

I did all this while working a full time job and flying occasionally as well.  I was sick for a few weeks, my wife was hospitalized 3 times, and we flew across the country for her mother’s funeral, all delaying my progress. 

Even with all this I got my plane back in the air in 11 months. 

Hopefully this gives you some perspective.

Edited by salty
  • Like 1

The holidays are a good time to visit family in Missouri and have the face-to-face with the mechanic. The $7,200 you have already lost on not having a plane would easily cover the travel expense.

Sometimes, I have found people doing work for me have things come up, get behind, and then feel so bad about not completing my job, they continually put it off until I meet with them. It is not them avoiding me but them avoiding the work they promised because it reminds them they did not keep their commitment. I like to think most people do not want to disappoint their customers, but when they do they sometimes avoid addressing the problem.

Best of luck, in any case.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this thread. 

My dad tried to go by the place a few times - he was never there. The only thing there are a few cars he's working on in the hangar, and my aircraft. He asked around and found out the mechanic is also at risk of losing the business (financially). 

I can't make it out there so I'm making one last attempt to speak with him on the phone and get some solid dates/estimates, or I'm going to begin the process of serving papers. 

Curious if insurance would cover a situation like this. At this point, all I want is out of it. I'm f@#$ done. I dont even care as long as I get the amount I owe on the loan. 

3 minutes ago, gitmo234 said:

Bumping this thread. 

My dad tried to go by the place a few times - he was never there. The only thing there are a few cars he's working on in the hangar, and my aircraft. He asked around and found out the mechanic is also at risk of losing the business (financially). 

I can't make it out there so I'm making one last attempt to speak with him on the phone and get some solid dates/estimates, or I'm going to begin the process of serving papers. 

Curious if insurance would cover a situation like this. At this point, all I want is out of it. I'm f@#$ done. I dont even care as long as I get the amount I owe on the loan. 

I would call the insurance company or check the policy.  I know some policies cover rental planes and I’m sure that would get their attention if they were paying that cost. Did they recommend this shop?  Are their hangars on field you can rent and bring in a proper mechanic?  (As I recall, there were limited options).

Your aircraft insurance covers you if the aircraft is damaged, not maintenance/overhauls/etc.  Are you talking about the mechanics insurance?  Does he have insurance?

No easy way out. If I was in your shoes I’d threaten litigation unless he lets you send off your parts to an engine overhaul shop.  I’d probably have him put the engine in but NO WAY I’d have him overhaul it. The last thing you want is an overhaul done by someone with little experience spread over a long period of time. 

I believe the hangars are full. The field is small enough that the mechanic is the airport manager and the only person to talk to so. Tomorrow during the day, if I dont have something truly solid, I'll start calling both lawyers and insurance

What exactly needs to be done to the plane to make it airworthy? Any chance you can get another mechanic to come in to get it flyable and take it elsewhere?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The engine assembled and installed (it has been returned overhauled), and the annual completed, which from what I'm told was awaiting a few parts that are now in.

I heard back from him just now, after I texted him that I going to take legal action if I didnt have a call with an update by tomorrow. He said he cannot talk tonight but tomorrow he will walk me through it and give me a firm date. 

If that conversation doesnt go perfectly, I will have someone else work it, if i can find it. The airport is 3VS - middle of nowhere. 

Once this thing is done, someone is going to get a good deal on an M20E. This whole experience has me done with it all. I literally just got this thing ADS-B compliant and an avidyne IFD-440 installed. 

I just went through a very similar experience, I know just how frustrating it can be.  Do keep in mind that you will get your airplane back (mechanic wants paid, doesn't he?) and it'll have a freshly overhauled engine. World will look better.

Instead of a stick I'd use a carrot.  If the aircraft is done by such and such a date you'l give him a bonus?  Could work to light a fire under this guy and get your airplane back.  Apocryphal story to be certain.  Good luck.

It's amazing how much "If I do not see progress in getting my airplane back soon I will be taking legal action" works. Had a very long talk today. His side: he admitted he put me on a low priority because I'm not there, and he was trying to expand his helicopter A&P work, since that's bigger money. He also purchased a new building and an offsite to expand it. (verified those with my dad who has seen a helicopter parked there and the new building/small town talk of the offsite purchase)

He also has personally been in a car wreck and his father was in one, and is going back into the hospital today (also verified by my father) and the prognosis isnt well. 

That being said he updated me with what has been going on this last few weeks. Landing gear needed some serious work and there are cracks in the firewall, and he has to file a 337 to fix. He's specifically not asking for another dime until it's done (which is good because I wasn't going to pay another dime, since I've paid almost 20k). 

We've agreed he will give me a weekly log and photographs of his work. Once the info on the firewall repair/patch is done, the engine mounts will go back on and the engine will be assembled. The landing gear is coming off tomorrow for the overhauled parts.

I feel better with those answers but not 100% - we shall see

• Like 2

It’s painful at times. I’m 5 months into ownership, and am based at a small “one man show” airport as well. One AME, who doubles as the Airport Manager. 

Sinilar situstion. Nice guy, does good work,  just does it on his schedule. I’ve had to have a fuel servo replaced, and now my starter bit the dust. 

Servo took almost a month, As he doddled taking if off and sending it away. 

I took the reins on the starter. The instant it didn’t start, I came on here, and researched what I needed. Bought a 149NL Skytec, and had it shipped next day. 

By the time he was able to look at the plane, and definitely decide the starter needed replacing, I got the “well, guess I’ll order one and put it in next week”.

He was a little surprised when I pulled a box out of the truck and said it’s here, and I need it installed by Tuesday. 

Plane is supposed to be in his hangar today. We will see how it goes. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gitmo234 said:

It's amazing how much "If I do not see progress in getting my airplane back soon I will be taking legal action" works. Had a very long talk today. His side: he admitted he put me on a low priority because I'm not there, and he was trying to expand his helicopter A&P work, since that's bigger money. He also purchased a new building and an offsite to expand it. (verified those with my dad who has seen a helicopter parked there and the new building/small town talk of the offsite purchase)

He also has personally been in a car wreck and his father was in one, and is going back into the hospital today (also verified by my father) and the prognosis isnt well. 

That being said he updated me with what has been going on this last few weeks. Landing gear needed some serious work and there are cracks in the firewall, and he has to file a 337 to fix. He's specifically not asking for another dime until it's done (which is good because I wasn't going to pay another dime, since I've paid almost 20k). 

We've agreed he will give me a weekly log and photographs of his work. Once the info on the firewall repair/patch is done, the engine mounts will go back on and the engine will be assembled. The landing gear is coming off tomorrow for the overhauled parts.

I feel better with those answers but not 100% - we shall see

I’m sure you know this by now but you have the wrong guy. He gets money from you to pay past dues bills and then he has no incentive to gets yours done since he’s already been paid. It’s better for him to get money for a new job from someone else. On airplane repairs or house remodeling or anything like it always good to get a written estimate and pay a deposit but always try to stay ahead of them so you always have a little more work done than you’ve paid for, otherwise they hold all of the cards.