G5’s and STEC 3100

MICKEY

After some lovely emails with 1 response from Garmin, I was informed that the M20 F and G models are not actively pursuing an stc for the gfc500. And let me tell you how nice they were about it after dropping 10k in the dual G5’s and extra associated equipment.  It was a one-linerresponse. 

Garmin has not committed to a completion date for this aircraft addition to the STC AML.
Please review the attached link for autopilot certification planning and progress. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/604257.html#additional

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.”

So if Garmin continues to act like this, I would like to see what other options I have. In retrospect if the gfc500 was not going to be available and or supported in the m20f, I would’ve gone aspen max. Over all the stec 3100 is a GREAT product.  I also believe independently the aspen is superior, but I chose Garmin G5’s for integration.  However I feel Garmin lead us all on by placing on their their website that the m20 f g j k m n models were in the certification process.  So now as I see it, Garmin has reneged on the f and g, as well as any hope on the a b c and d models.  

Now that that’s off my chest....

My question today is two fold.  

1. Will the STEC 3100 work well with the dual G5’s with ALT and speed bugs through the GAD 29B?  (Currently have a STEC 60-2).

2.  What is the timeline for the STC cert of the 3100 in the M20 F?  Is it too late to get in on the servo warranty extension?  

Thanks in advance.  

P.S. and as for Garmin.. I like your products but I expected much better things from you guys regarding customer service in this situation.

Don't know if you saw this already but its an entire thread about the 3100. The 3100 will integrate just fine with the G5's IIRC correctly,
and STEC's plan is to do the STC Beginning of Jan. The already had 15 PO's, so the STC is scheduled, but I believe anyone who places
an order before the STC is issued gets a 3 year warranty on the Box, and 1 years on the servos, instead of the 2 years on the box, and the
1 year on the servos, that normally comes with it. I will say that Stec did a superb job just putting all the Mooneys under one STC instead
of splitting it up like Garmin. All Mooney from the M20A, to the M20S will be under the STC excluding the G1000/GFC700 birds. Looks like a promising
Autopilot, and from the reviews I've seen on beachtalk and youtube, looks like people are liking it a lot.

28 minutes ago, MICKEY said:

1. Will the STEC 3100 work well with the dual G5’s with ALT and speed bugs through the GAD 29B?  (Currently have a STEC 60-2).

No I don't believe so, but Aspen has a software update after the first of the year that will provide these features for the 3100.

2 hours ago, MICKEY said:

After some lovely emails with 1 response from Garmin, I was informed that the M20 F and G models are not actively pursuing an stc for the gfc500. And let me tell you how nice they were about it after dropping 10k in the dual G5’s and extra associated equipment.  It was a one-linerresponse. 

Garmin has not committed to a completion date for this aircraft addition to the STC AML.
Please review the attached link for autopilot certification planning and progress. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/604257.html#additional

....P.S. and as for Garmin.. I like your products but I expected much better things from you guys regarding customer service in this situation.

not good news.

It must be us, Brittain A/P owners and CB with all the testimonials how great and cheap to maintain are that made big G rethink their priorities... :)

My thoughts although I’m a fanboy....

Garmin could easily have added all the Mooney aircraft with a flick of their wand. A lot of money/time is being spent to test the mounting locations, integration, etc. IMO it will be a top quality setup when finally certified. If I owned dual G5’s no doubt in my mind I would wait it out. 

If I was thinking about a panel upgrade and wanted the 3100 I would invest in the Aspen system. The integration and ease of install with the pending software release will be amazing. 

4 hours ago, Niko182 said:

Don't know if you saw this already but its an entire thread about the 3100. The 3100 will integrate just fine with the G5's IIRC correctly,
and STEC's plan is to do the STC Beginning of Jan. The already had 15 PO's, so the STC is scheduled, but I believe anyone who places
an order before the STC is issued gets a 3 year warranty on the Box, and 1 years on the servos, instead of the 2 years on the box, and the
1 year on the servos, that normally comes with it. I will say that Stec did a superb job just putting all the Mooneys under one STC instead
of splitting it up like Garmin. All Mooney from the M20A, to the M20S will be under the STC excluding the G1000/GFC700 birds. Looks like a promising
Autopilot, and from the reviews I've seen on beachtalk and youtube, looks like people are liking it a lot.

KFC3100 works with a G5?  I thought it was only going to work with their own digital attitude indicator that has been vaporware for years, and way over priced.  If it works with the G5 then it is a much more reasonable concept.

4 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

KFC3100 works with a G5?  I thought it was only going to work with their own digital attitude indicator that has been vaporware for years, and way over priced.  If it works with the G5 then it is a much more reasonable concept.

I believe you are mixing up the BK KFC 230 and The Genesys Stec 3100. 2 very different systems and one is actually being produced. the other is still "being certified".

2 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

I believe you are mixing up the BK KFC 230 and The Genesys Stec 3100. 2 very different systems and one is actually being produced. the other is still "being certified".

ooooh - yes I am - I did get confused.  Thanks!  Too many code words and big numbers confused this ol' math prof.

Thanks!

To fill in some of the details...

BK has their own vaporware AP to go with their pseudo vaporware HSI...

They call it the aerocruze...

https://www.bendixking.com/en/products/aerocruze

To help with the inifinite delivery time... It will probably be manufactured by somebody else, and have the BK name placed upon it. :)

PP thoughts, not an instrument guy...

Best regards,

-a-

Just going to redirect this thread again. Does anybody have any experience with G5’s and STEC equipment? And if Larry Leblanc could weigh in? Will the STEC3100 integrate decently with the dual G5’s ?

Looking over the spec sheet on the 3100, it looks like it will interface with the G5 just like it currently does for an Aspen PFD. GPSS is built into the 3100, so you will have that capability. The big difference is that the Aspen PFD is slated to have an update done so that the IAS and altitude pre-select will be controlled on the Aspen in addition to the control pad for the 3100.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Marauder said:

Looking over the spec sheet on the 3100, it looks like it will interface with the G5 just like it currently does for an Aspen PFD. GPSS is built into the 3100, so you will have that capability. The big difference is that the Aspen PFD is slated to have an update done so that the IAS and altitude pre-select will be controlled on the Aspen in addition to the control pad for the 3100.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have the dual G5’s and GAD29B so I do have gpss.  With the STEC 3100 there is gpss as well?  Do you know which one it functions on?  

I have the dual G5’s and GAD29B so I do have gpss.  With the STEC 3100 there is gpss as well?  Do you know which one it functions on?  

I think it depends on how it gets configured. I have the same question since the Aspen also has GPSS built in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 11/25/2018 at 2:16 PM, Marauder said:

I think it depends on how it gets configured. I have the same question since the Aspen also has GPSS built in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a 55X and Aspen, both with GPSS. I can use either. As you say, it depends how it is configured.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2018 at 3:22 PM, MICKEY said:

So if Garmin continues to act like this, I would like to see what other options I have. In retrospect if the gfc500 was not going to be available and or supported in the m20f, I would’ve gone aspen max. Over all the stec 3100 is a GREAT product.  I also believe independently the aspen is superior, but I chose Garmin G5’s for integration.  However I feel Garmin lead us all on by placing on their their website that the m20 f g j k m n models were in the certification process.  So now as I see it, Garmin has reneged on the f and g, as well as any hope on the a b c and d models.  

Now that that’s off my chest....

My question today is two fold.  

2.  What is the timeline for the STC cert of the 3100 in the M20 F?  Is it too late to get in on the servo warranty extension?  

Thanks in advance.  

P.S. and as for Garmin.. I like your products but I expected much better things from you guys regarding customer service in this situation.

1. The 3100 can take course and heading bugs from the G5 HSI GAD29B. Altitude, VS and IAS bugs will have to be set on the 3100 itself.

2. Certification should be completed by the middle of next year (2019) (of course this is just an estimate). As for the servo warranty, if one places a PO before the STC is issued, they will receive an additional year on existing components (bringing the total to 2 years).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Simpson Bennett said:

Just to confirm, the STC will cover the M20B through M20S and the M20TN.

Bennett,

Are there any plans for VNAV capability for the 3100 provided it is connected to a capable navigator - in my case an IFD?  I am not talking about LPV approaches, I'm referring to VNAV descents whereby it can lock onto a glide slope type indicator until an altitude is reached by a certain distance whether by entering the altitude manually, conforming with a STAR, other ATC requirement or just wanting to be at an altitude for any constraint purpose.  

I ask this as in the brochure it mentions GPS VNAV capability with no elaboration, but in the POH the only mention of VNAV is in reference to a LNAV/VNAV or LPV approach (GPSL & GPSV). 

I also notice there is no VNAV button on the control unit.

Thanks for chiming in.

15 hours ago, Mooney in Oz said:

Bennett,

Are there any plans for VNAV capability for the 3100 provided it is connected to a capable navigator - in my case an IFD?  I am not talking about LPV approaches, I'm referring to VNAV descents whereby it can lock onto a glide slope type indicator until an altitude is reached by a certain distance whether by entering the altitude manually, conforming with a STAR, other ATC requirement or just wanting to be at an altitude for any constraint purpose.  

I ask this as in the brochure it mentions GPS VNAV capability with no elaboration, but in the POH the only mention of VNAV is in reference to a LNAV/VNAV or LPV approach (GPSL & GPSV). 

I also notice there is no VNAV button on the control unit.

Thanks for chiming in.

Yes, there are plans for VNAV. We are investigating the capability in the different GPS navigators out there. It's one thing to display the VNAV data on a navigator (like the IFD) but it's another to actually output it in a format that we can use and that's what we are researching. We've approached both Garmin and Avidyne on this matter.

Right, in that context the VNAV in our marketing material and POH refers to GPS based instrument approaches.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...