Aspen ADS-B Recycling anomaly notice

HXG

Click here to view this message in a browser window.

image.jpg

November 21, 2018

Dear Valued Customers and Partners,

I am writing to you to inform you of an anomaly that was identified within the last 24 hours concerning Aspen Avionics Evolution Flight Displays with software version 2.9 recycling approximately every ten minutes when connected to an ADS-B In transponder, transceiver or receiver.  At this point in time, it appears the malfunction is geographically isolated to the Midwestern and Southwestern part of the United States.  The data that causes the disruption is received from the ADS-B ground station and appears to be in an undocumented format and invalid data.  Aspen does not reject the data, so it must be corrected in a software update.  If the apparent invalid data is not transmitted, the resets would not occur.

Please be assured, we are working diligently to identify the problem, and source a solution in partnership with the FAA.

The interim solution is to disable the ADS-B input into the display(s). 

A Mandatory Service Bulletin will be released to all dealers and customers with instructions on November 21, 2018.

For questions, contact your local Aspen Dealer or Aspen Customer Support at fieldserviceengineers@aspenavionics.com.

Mark Ferrari
Vice President Sales and Customer Support
www.aspenavionics.com

Copyright © 2018 Aspen Avionics Inc
Our address is 5001 Indian School Road Ne, Albuquerque, NM 87110

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)
 endline.gif
  • Like 3

We had a similar bug on the Garmin side that took a few weeks for them to resolve since they have a lot of testing to do. But in that case ADS/b data from the GTX345 was overloading the processor in the GTN gps's causing them to go blank for several seconds. The Aspen issue sounds very similar but more frequent and more drastic since it's your flight instruments on the PFD.
Haven't heard of anyone complain about the bug though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click here to view this message in a browser window.

image.jpg

November 21, 2018

Dear Valued Customers and Partners,

As previously communicated, the link below will provide you with the Mandatory Service Bulletin 2018-01 that addresses the potential of inflight reset of FIS-B equipped EFD1000/500 systems.

Again, please be assured, we are working diligently to identify the problem, and source a solution in partnership with the FAA.

Link to Mandatory Service Bulletin

For questions, contact your local Aspen Dealer or Aspen Customer Support at fieldserviceengineers@aspenavionics.com.

Mark Ferrari
Vice President Sales and Customer Support
www.aspenavionics.com

Copyright © 2018 Aspen Avionics Inc
Our address is 5001 Indian School Road Ne, Albuquerque, NM 87110

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)
 endline.gif

• 1 month later...

Just some related information regarding the recycle issue...

My J is in the shop with both PFD and MFD installation complete.  The avionics shop hopes to deliver my plane this coming week (Jan 21st) but that is dependent upon receiving a response back from Aspen...who is waiting on a response from the FAA.  

Because I have little experience with how all this works, I am speculating Aspen has provided a "fix" to the FAA and waiting on their review/approval.

You can bet I will be asking a ton of questions around this issue and the fix upon accepting my aircraft from the shop.  I will provide a PIREP around what they share.

Why does this have to hold up delivery? They should be able to deliver it with current software and SB applied. Then upgrade the software when it is ready.

It has been reported over on beechtalk that the ADSB ground stations are no longer transmitting the data which caused this in the first place. One could split the difference and apply the SB to the PFD only.

• Like 1