Anyone Have ForeFlight Sentry Experience?

231MJ

Does anyone have experience using the ForeFlight Sentry box for in-flight weather (and related data) and traffic  (ADS-B-in)?   I'm getting the Garmin GTX 335 transponder and wondering if I should add the the Garmin GDL 52R to the package (Garmin is offering a rebate on the GTX 335 and GDL 52 of $400 if purchased as a package).   I'm wondering if the data from the Sentry box is as good as from the GDL 52.  

4 hours ago, 231MJ said:

Does anyone have experience using the ForeFlight Sentry box for in-flight weather (and related data) and traffic  (ADS-B-in)?   I'm getting the Garmin GTX 335 transponder and wondering if I should add the the Garmin GDL 52R to the package (Garmin is offering a rebate on the GTX 335 and GDL 52 of $400 if purchased as a package).   I'm wondering if the data from the Sentry box is as good as from the GDL 52.  

I have the Sentry and GDL88. Information seems to be the same from both. For a CO monitor, WAAS GPS, ADS-B in and AHRS I don’t think you can beat the price. Battery seems to last a long time, too.

On 11/20/2018 at 3:59 PM, 231MJ said:

I'm getting the Garmin GTX 335 transponder and wondering if I should add the the Garmin GDL 52R to the package (Garmin is offering a rebate on the GTX 335 and GDL 52 of $400 if purchased as a package).  

If you're going to do that I would just get the GTX345 - you get certified In and out.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2018 at 9:48 PM, ilovecornfields said:

I have the Sentry and GDL88. Information seems to be the same from both. For a CO monitor, WAAS GPS, ADS-B in and AHRS I don’t think you can beat the price. Battery seems to last a long time, too.

I am probably going to replace my Stratus with a Sentry as well.  Battery life, cost and size are factors.  I will either be the tail strobe ADS-B out or the GDL 82.  They are close in price although the GDL 82 requires a bit more work.

The Garmin 345 is about $2,300 more (with GPS receiver).  The 345 does offer a lot more features but not sure it's worth the extra money, plus the install is more involved.  The  $400 Garmin rebate on the 335/GDL52R combo is good until the end of the year - need to keep researching.  

6 hours ago, 231MJ said:

The Garmin 345 is about $2,300 more (with GPS receiver).  The 345 does offer a lot more features but not sure it's worth the extra money, plus the install is more involved.  The  $400 Garmin rebate on the 335/GDL52R combo is good until the end of the year - need to keep researching.  

It seems like a lot more now but later when you want ADS-B displayed on your panel devices (Aspen, Avidyne, Garmin, etc) you may wish you had done it once and done it right. Much more expensive to do it twice. Ask me how I know this :)

The gdl 50 is a better comparison to the sentry. The real advantage of the Garmin system is going with the 50R model. Although you need an understanding IA it will be a much better end result to have the unit hardwired into the panel with a dedicated external antenna on the bottom of the plane.  I would consider the 660 with a panel mount to be a requirement as well to use with your iPad. It would make a great dedicated traffic display using Garmin’s trend interpolations. The 660 will transmit (one direction) the flight plan from your panel 430/530 to the iPad with Garmin Pilot. There is also an advantage of the 335 as it can be installed by a local IA / owner assisted. Hard to find a reasonable avionics shop with open time slots. 

All this being said, if you plan on 750, txi, aspen, etc upgraded in the future buy the 345 instead.  The 660 can be added to the 345 as well.