Coax switch and com antenna setup

bradp

Hi all -

I have an old CI-122 on the belly that's not currently attached to anything and the two top mounted fuselage Com antennas. 

Which of the following would be the better option.

1) Rewire Com2 to a coax switch of some ilk to be able to select top or belly antenna.  May be useful for dead zones where I'm pretty sure that my wings are blocking ATC antenna's line of sight.

2) Hook up Com2 to belly.  Have com 1 as is to top fuselage antenna.  Have the second top mounted com antenna terminate blind to be able to use with a handheld transceiver if necessary.

@Piloto  Jose any opinion?

Thank you.

-Brad

Hi all -
I have an old CI-122 on the belly that's not currently attached to anything and the two top mounted fuselage Com antennas. 
1) Rewire Com2 to a coax switch of some ilk to be able to select top or belly antenna.  May be useful for dead zones where I'm pretty sure that my wings are blocking ATC antenna's line of sight.
2) Hook up Com2 to belly.  Have com 1 as is to top fuselage antenna.  Have the second top mounted com antenna terminate blind to be able to use with a handheld transceiver if necessary.
[mention=6932]Piloto[/mention]  Jose any opinion?
Thank you.
-Brad

Curious where your GPS antenna are located. There was a clearance requirement on mine that forced one of the top antenna to the bottom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

GPS antennas are aft of the com antenna behind the baggage compartment- they apparently measured out ok for interference.  

I’d love to have one top and one bottom if performance improved - our wings do seem to interfere at certain deck angles to the ground based transmitter  

Wonder if your extra Aspen and lynx antennas forced the move.? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bradp said:

Hi all -

@Piloto  Jose any opinion?

Thank you.

-Brad

414751930_706inpanel.thumb.JPG.cd0b100b122b3c251f2b3318957e2a84.JPG

Major reasons for belly antennas are lack of top antenna space or for simultaneous VHF operation (ACARS/VHF COM). Belly antennas have less performance for on the ground operation (taxing) and subject to damage.  I have a belly antenna on my M20J similar to the CI-122 connected to an Icom 706 VHF Ham Radio that I use for Ham operation and marine band.

José

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 1