Mooney Lunch Roundup in Alabama

Pilotja5

Alabama Mooney Lunch Round Up  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Where would everyone like to meet for lunch for the Alabama Mooney Round Up

• Cullman (KCMD)
    • Eufala (KEUF)
    • Jack Edwards (KJKA)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/29/2018 at 04:12 AM

Thank you to Neil Cohen for inviting me along! I had a great time as well, I was impressed with the number of planes that showed up, even though I didn't bring mine. I could have... all the squawks have been taken care of I just need to get her in the air.

What a great bunch of folks. (that I won't remember their names :-)

1 hour ago, alextstone said:

My son, Jack and I had a great time meeting up with you all!  I hope that I can join the caravan to Oshkosh this year!

Alex

Alex, the June 14-16 clinic @ KHKY is the only clinic east of the Mississippi! Y'all come on over.

http://www.mooneycaravan.com/training

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bill98 said:

Next time do KAUO and I’ll fly from Texas 

Lots of places to eat in Auburn, but nothing at the airport. It's a whole 15 minute flight fir me, let me know when you're coming and I'll meet you there. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bill98 said:

Next time do KAUO and I’ll fly from Texas 

Bill, HKY has a tower and 6400 x 150' runway that AUO lacks, both of which are pretty important for 2 and 3 ship sorties. But a bigger consideration is that we're serving the entire east and there are several Caravan regulars coming from NY and NJ. HKY is pretty central.

There's a clinic at San Marcos in April.

We're asking folks to come in Thursday afternoon/evening this year to get in a full day Friday and Saturday plus Sunday morning for a mass departure and as make up if we have to deal with an afternoon CB. All this for $125 which includes a T shirt, lunches, and 2 dinners. We'll fly as much or more as the MAPA Safety PPP which costs $845. It's worth an extra hour or two coming and going. (I'm not panning the PPP, I'l headed to LAL this week to attend one! They're different, I'll get a FR and IPC at the PPP. Just sayin')

2 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Bill, HKY has a tower and 6400 x 150' runway that AUO lacks,

Yeah, Auburn just has a piddly little 5250 x 100 runway with ILS for the University and corporate jets. And a 4000 x 75 crosswind runway. And two large ramps (saw Friday the signs say RAMP to the east and APRON to the west). Full and self-service fuel. Major repairs. Half mile to the interstate, two miles to major shopping and hotels . . . .

But LA is nowhere near as scenic as WNC. If I can get everything done, I'll try to make training in Hickory. But just started annual with a freshly-wonky vacuum pump . . . . Next year may be the year for me instead. :(  Seems like I've said that before. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hank said:

I'll try to make training in Hickory. But just started annual with a freshly-wonky vacuum pump . . . . Next year may be the year for me instead. :(  Seems like I've said that before. 

Hank, we're talking June here. You could swap the engine and paint the Mooney by then, we're not accepting a vacuum pump as an excuse! ;)

• Like 1

I sense some under currents and cross winds here....

1) Electrical engineer selling the attributes of a digital panel...

2) Mechanical engineer holding tight to the last bits of mechanical navigation technology and keeping the clean side up thing...

3) Chemical engineer rooting for both sides...

Let the sparks fly!  :)

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

I sense some under currents and cross winds here....

1) Electrical engineer selling the attributes of a digital panel...

2) Mechanical engineer holding tight to the last bits of mechanical navigation technology and keeping the clean side up thing...

3) Chemical engineer rooting for both sides...

Let the sparks fly!  :)

Best regards,

-a-

You're durn straight! Ain't nothing but a vacuum pump gonna run my PC, AccuTrak and AccuFlight, to say nothing of the DG they require and my AI. Sure, for over half the value of the plane, they can be replaced. But not right now . . . . .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

You're durn straight! Ain't nothing but a vacuum pump gonna run my PC, AccuTrak and AccuFlight, to say nothing of the DG they require and my AI. Sure, for over half the value of the plane, they can be replaced. But not right now . . . . .

You can forget about autopilots when flying formation. You don't even need the vacuum AI. Eyes outside the plane at all times hand on the yoke, other hand on the throttle, feet on the rudder, keeping position relative to your lead plane and only one real rule... don't hit lead.

• Like 1

Just now, Bob_Belville said:

You can forget about autopilots when flying formation. You don't even need the vacuum AI. Eyes outside the plane at all times hand on the yoke, other hand on the throttle, feet on the rudder, keeping position relative to your lead plane and only one real rule... don't hit lead.

But formation is only the last 30 minutes into Osh. Hiw about the other 675 nm to get there, then all 700 nm home???

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hank said:

It's mine too! Fly over, I'll drive you downtown for lemonade at Toomer Drugs.  :)

War Eagle!! Hey!

Are the Lemonades approved medications by the FAA?

shame that the new FBO doesn’t have a restaurant. It’s a wonderful facility with a rooftop deck I believe. 

I could probably call call in a favor and arrange catering. TCL ATC was always a pleasure to deal with too when I would have to do a cross country. Not sure if TCL has a restaurant though. 

8 minutes ago, bill98 said:

Are the Lemonades approved medications by the FAA?

shame that the new FBO doesn’t have a restaurant. It’s a wonderful facility with a rooftop deck I believe. 

I could probably call call in a favor and arrange catering. TCL ATC was always a pleasure to deal with too when I would have to do a cross country. Not sure if TCL has a restaurant though. 

Now you're getting ugly . . . Note that AUO only has a temporary tower for home football games. The university now has 20 Cessnas, so watch for traffic in the pattern when you come. I squoze in as #2 between a 172 turning downwind and one making a touch-and-go, while two planes waited to depart (one each at the hold short line, left and right of 36). 

The newish FBO is a very nice building. So are the brand new Delta Airlines aviation education building and the new maintenance hangar across the field, which replaced the old pre-war structures. My plane is there for my first "no-owner-participation" annual ever . . . .

As far as the lemonade, it's good for what ails you. It can, of course, be stiffened up on those occasions when your need for medication outweighs your need to fly.  :P

We need more restaurants at airports around here, or within easy walking distance like in Eufala.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 10:34 PM, Frozen Flying said:

If I get my airplane back up and running by then probably we’ll come. It’s like a 5 minute flight from the farm.

Nice meeting you and really cool grass strip! I wasn't too sure how low of a flyover I should do haha. 

On 1/26/2019 at 4:05 PM, Brandontwalker said:

We had a great turnout today. 13 Mooney’s in total! The restaurant was standing room only. It was great meeting those able to make the trip. c4586e0d07f04dd1422632ca985bcf31.jpg134777240f1e5b7b6f1ff543d39153c6.jpgc6081d126b698561a46534362959ebc7.jpgbcf8d5fc7ef2ee9ec6bf8ebfaf8f2e45.jpg4863de8e4ef8372bdf4a9dfbacdbdedd.jpgcf901206eebfd7a71061f0ab05c19b9e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next time I won't park my "Sand/burgundy" '65E right next to the shiny Bravo!

Hey Guys!   If you like, I can try to plan these quarterly.  Maybe next time, my plane will be back in action :-)  By the way, I did try to rent one, but they wanted way to long for a checkout!  I will be at the next lunch roundup.  Also we can go to different airports as well.

• Thanks 1