Special M20K Mooney resurrection opportunity!!

mpg

I just saw this ad..

MOONEY M20K • $16,000 • FOR IMMEDIATE SALE  Mooney M20K 1979 for sale. $16,000 firm. Total time air frame 2144. 120 hours on engine since rebuild. Always hangared. Has not flown since 1990. Located in Hayward, CA. Must be moved by December 31. Contact ASAP... Serious inquiries only. 916 996-8528 • Contact Richard A. Launey, Owner - located Sacramento, CA USA • Telephone: 916 996-8528 • Posted November 19, 2018  Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser  Recommend This Ad to a Friend  Email Advertiser  Save to Watchlist  Report This Ad  View Larger Pictures

1x1.gif

thumb.jpg?modified=1542692063 thumb.jpg?modified=1542692131 thumb.jpg?modified=1542692164 thumb.jpg?modified=1542692192

That looks like a job for the Reaper AKA @Alan Fox. But it's on the wrong side of the country. Does LASAR need to replenish their scrap yard?

Or for $16K, I could probably get a crew and a truck out there to remove the wings, get it loaded on the truck and moved out of the hangar....

Oh wait... they want to collect the $16K, paying $16K to have it removed is more realistic ;)

• Haha 1

Wow. 28 years in storage.  Intriguing. This is an IA special.  The potential cost to make airworthy, paint and install reasonable avionics for a non mechanic owner could hit $100K.  

However, if a good inspection is doable it could be a steal. Hayward ain't exactly the rust belt and we can see  that SB20-208 has been complied with.

Look at the rust on the co-pilot's yoke shaft. It needs an engine anyway so rust there doesn't matter. 1979 model is going to need a new crank so you're better off with a new or rebuilt exchange. If the painted parts are ok it might be a good airframe. Engine, tanks, paint, radios...a good way to put $120k into an $80k airplane. Isn't aviation great?

18 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

It didn’t fly for 28 years...always hangared?! Wow, you would think after just a few years they would realize they were just losing money.

There are some real eccentrics out there.  I'm sure this has a story.   My brother lived next to a guy when he was at UofM  (late 90's) that was obsessed with air-cooled Porsches. I mean he had like 15 or 16 in various states of disrepair on his property. He had parts all through his house. It was like Sanford and Son except for all the junk was from Stuttgart.  He had big plans for everyone of those machines.  As it turned out, he also had a few storage facilities with cars tucked away that had been there for decades.  I wish I could find the N number.  I wonder if it's even registered...

Those Yoke shafts look awful... I 

11 minutes ago, N231BN said:

Look at the rust on the co-pilot's yoke shaft. It needs an engine anyway so rust there doesn't matter. 1979 model is going to need a new crank so you're better off with a new or rebuilt exchange. If the painted parts are ok it might be a good airframe. Engine, tanks, paint, radios...a good way to put $120k into an $80k airplane. Isn't aviation great?

Those yoke shafts look nasty.  How does that happen. Mine are 51 years old and the chrome is 100% intact.

Those Yoke shafts look awful... I 
Those yoke shafts look nasty.  How does that happen. Mine are 51 years old and the chrome is 100% intact.
Cold, damp hangar for 28 years I guess. I wonder what the rest of the airplane looked like before someone started repainting it?

Looks like grey primer!!!! As in automobile primer...I'm guessing the owner started his own restoration project (maybe using a spray can!!!)and slowly stopped work...the years go by and he wakes up to the fact he's never going to fly again.I think this bird should be donated

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 8:29 AM, mpg said:

I just saw this ad..

MOONEY M20K • $16,000 • FOR IMMEDIATE SALE  Mooney M20K 1979 for sale. $16,000 firm. Total time air frame 2144. 120 hours on engine since rebuild. Always hangared. Has not flown since 1990. Located in Hayward, CA. Must be moved by December 31. Contact ASAP... Serious inquiries only. 916 996-8528 • Contact Richard A. Launey, Owner - located Sacramento, CA USA • Telephone: 916 996-8528 • Posted November 19, 2018  Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser  Recommend This Ad to a Friend  Email Advertiser  Save to Watchlist  Report This Ad  View Larger Pictures

1x1.gif

thumb.jpg?modified=1542692063 thumb.jpg?modified=1542692131 thumb.jpg?modified=1542692164 thumb.jpg?modified=1542692192

I met the gentleman who sold LASAR.  He retained the salvage business.  It is no longer part of LASAR.  I am away for Thanksgiving but have his business card at home.  I can give you his contact information if you would like it.  If so, let me know and I will send it when I get home.  I would like to have the yokes and maybe a few other things.

Where this might make sense is if you had a nice K model with a modern panel, nice interior, etc that had recent hail damage or a bad wing or needed multiple control surfaces, etc. If this doesn't have corrosion, buy it for the salvage value - use what you need and then part out the rest. That would require time and space though. Who knows? Maybe 28 years ago this is how all of it started in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...

This makes me wonder how many hangars across the US are housing planes that have not flown in 10+ years.  We had a lineman retire December 1, 2018 and he had worked at our hangar complex for about 10 years.  According to his records, about 90% of the hangars hold planes that haven't flown since he started, my guestimate on that number is about 70 hangars.  He also mentioned at least a couple that haven't flown since the early 80's.  It will be interesting to see what is hiding in there and if any of the equipment is ever usable again....

3 minutes ago, 81-201 said:

This makes me wonder how many hangars across the US are housing planes that have not flown in 10+ years.  We had a lineman retire December 1, 2018 and he had worked at our hangar complex for about 10 years.  According to his records, about 90% of the hangars hold planes that haven't flown since he started, my guestimate on that number is about 70 hangars.  He also mentioned at least a couple that haven't flown since the early 80's.  It will be interesting to see what is hiding in there and if any of the equipment is ever usable again....

I believe it.  There are some hangars that I just never see open.  Like this K, once the owner or estate decides to sell its too late, and the cost to move these “deals”, kill the deal.  I guess that’s the difference between a barn find car and a barn find airplane.  There are a few companies that will move them, but a Mooney is not conducive to easy transport. 

Im curious, perhaps Jerry @acpartswhse can give us a ballpark what it would cost to move something like this cross country.