Special M20K Mooney resurrection opportunity!!

mpg

4 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Not to answer for John, but typically you take off the tail right at the aft end of the cage, and pull the engine off the front. The resulting three pieces can be loaded on a long flat-bed trailer for transport.

I have seen these guys move a few Money’s and they done it exactly like Paul said.

https://dreamworxaviation.com/

• Like 1

I did not separate the tailcone from the rest of the airplane.  That is the weakest part of the airframe and I did not want to mess with it.  I took the engine off and empennage off, collapsed the nose gear and set it with the wings aligned with the length of a flat bed trailer, firewall down and tailcone up.  This is fine for short distances but would be difficult for any long moves.  For long distance moves, take the wing off and move it in 4 pieces, fuselage, wing, empennage and tailcone.

John Breda

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 9:45 AM, Shadrach said:

Wow. 28 years in storage.  Intriguing. This is an IA special.  The potential cost to make airworthy, paint and install reasonable avionics for a non mechanic owner could hit $100K.  

However, if a good inspection is doable it could be a steal. Hayward ain't exactly the rust belt and we can see  that SB20-208 has been complied with.

I have been down this road.  I would expect that the $100,000 limit is probably off by a factor or 2 to 3, or perhaps more.  This is a project that only has value if you turn the airplane into something exceptional.  It represents alot of work and EVERYTHING on this airframe needs to be taken off, cleaned, primed, rebuilt or replaced, naturally including the engine.  There will be parts you have not even though of that will need to be replaced.  Consider this to be the start of a kitplane, except with a DER and IA it can be completed as a certified airplane.  Lots of work and time and not to be taken lightly.  Hayward is on the ocean.  It takes quite alot to corrode the chromed yoke shafts.  I would be concerned about the condition of steel elsewhere.  The nose gear is also corroded.  The structural cage would need to be looked at closely.  Everything can be fixed, with enough time, expertise, workspace and money.

John Breda

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Sure looks like it.  An E isn’t it?

6 hours ago, EricJ said:

Is that the one that was at Cottonwood?   Glad somebody got it.

Yes to both questions....

https://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N5800Q

Evaluating against my "Wish List"...

• 2 weeks later...

FAA listed it as an E  but in reality is a C with 180 hp.  Hauled it from Cottonwood to Morristown where we are trying to decide parts or build.  No corrosion or rust after 20 years.  Engine runs good. Haven't been in that yet. Avionics Narco 12D etc all work.  Good ole arizona climate  Jerry Pressley

• Like 1

11 hours ago, acpartswhse said:

Hauled it from Cottonwood to Morristown where we are trying to decide parts or build.  No corrosion or rust after 20 years.

I'd encourage build.  They don't make those any more and the ones with good bones could use a rescue.

• Like 1