Fuel sump in winter

L. Trotter

So...How many sample fuel for water via the sump drain during winter with ambient temps below freezing?

As for me...I don't. It may seem elementary but early in my flying career in Minot, ND with temps of below -20℉ I checked the fuel via the sump only to have a small piece of ice keep the sump open draining fuel onto the ground. It was difficult to get it to stop. 

In NJ, sump all the time...

Not knowing what the temp inside the tank is...

There is a time that you might become comfortable on a string of cold days... when the water stays frozen all the time...

Biggest fear, not knowing how much ice might be in there, while flying into warmer air...

By now... most people have changed the fuel neck for a stainless steel part.... the 65C had one made of mild steal and it rusted along a formed bend... allowing water into the tank...

bottom line... Water shouldn’t be getting in to the tank in such unknown quantities...

My experience was Pre-MS. Getting proper parts was near impossible for a youngish aviator...

Most winter days are in the 20-30°F around here... often transitioning above freezing in the sun...

Best regards,

-a-

It's a funny thing how sumping our tanks borders on religious doctrine.   In 20 years of flying, the only time I have ever gotten water is when the top of the wing has been exposed to water for an extended period (either parked or in the air) or on one occasion, out of a fuel truck.  Considering the amount of water necessary to actually reach a fuel pick up (in any attitude coordinated or otherwise), I think it would be near miracle status that well a maintained fuel system suffer a lose of power due to water ingestion...unless it's been tampered with! I sump regularly because I'm not about to let my enemies take me out with a jug of H2O.  

As to the freezing issue - If during flight or storage the plane is exposed to inclement weather its a good idea to mix isopropyl alcohol (pure not the with the fuel at every fill up. The ratio is 1:96 or ~1% (.5qt for every 12 gallons).  Cheap insurance.

Enough for 96 gals:

https://www.amazon.com/Isopropyl-Alcohol-99-Gallon-Packed/dp/B01DGYX7HO/ref=pd_sim_328_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01DGYX7HO&pd_rd_r=53a0f436-ecd0-11e8-a464-9d17b534f1da&pd_rd_w=1n9Cs&pd_rd_wg=DRkG0&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=18bb0b78-4200-49b9-ac91-f141d61a1780&pf_rd_r=5N0XW63M25KTDWGAFWCK&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=5N0XW63M25KTDWGAFWCK

• Like 1

7 hours ago, L. Trotter said:

So...How many sample fuel for water via the sump drain during winter with ambient temps below freezing?

As for me...I don't. It may seem elementary but early in my flying career in Minot, ND with temps of below -20℉ I checked the fuel via the sump only to have a small piece of ice keep the sump open draining fuel onto the ground. It was difficult to get it to stop. 

Your not just looking for water, debris can also ruin your day, along with mis-fueling. If you have enough water in your tank that it hangs the sump open when frozen, that would be too much for me. I sump before each flight and after each fueling (after time for it to settle)

• Like 1

Always looking for...

1) moisture

2) color

3) dirt

4) water or clear fuel..? Spit in it...  spit should sink...not spread out....

All three are important to know about...

You can be very surprised when a lot of rain has entered the tank because of a compromised o ring, or mal adjusted fuel cap...

Best regards,

-a-