CGR-30 (or MVP-50, I guess) install time

johncuyle

I purchased a CGR-30 combo this summer and am having it installed in my 231 at annual.  The shop has had my plane for a while now.  Whenever I've inquired as to what was taking so long with finishing the annual and installing the engine monitor, they have cited installation difficulty.  In particular, they say the installation has taken much longer than, say, a JPI 930 because of the number of modules that required wiring in behind the panel.  I know manufacturer install time estimates (I think EI says something like 20-30 hours) tend to be somewhat optimistic, and Mooney panels are not noted for being easy to work behind (though I'd expect an MSC to be used to that) but I wouldn't have expected it to be that much more difficult to install than a JPI.

For people who have had EI monitors, either the CGR or MVP, installed, how many hours did your shop bill you for?  They've had the plane for two months now.  They haven't been working exclusively on my plane and they had a number of other panel and electrical jobs in there, so the total isn't going to be 8*40 hours but I really have no idea what number they're going to tell me (difficulty getting a running time total is a separate frustration) and I want to have some idea what other owners' experiences have been before then.

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, johncuyle said:

I purchased a CGR-30 combo this summer and am having it installed in my 231 at annual.  The shop has had my plane for a while now.  Whenever I've inquired as to what was taking so long with finishing the annual and installing the engine monitor, they have cited installation difficulty.  In particular, they say the installation has taken much longer than, say, a JPI 930 because of the number of modules that required wiring in behind the panel.  I know manufacturer install time estimates (I think EI says something like 20-30 hours) tend to be somewhat optimistic, and Mooney panels are not noted for being easy to work behind (though I'd expect an MSC to be used to that) but I wouldn't have expected it to be that much more difficult to install than a JPI.

For people who have had EI monitors, either the CGR or MVP, installed, how many hours did your shop bill you for?  They've had the plane for two months now.  They haven't been working exclusively on my plane and they had a number of other panel and electrical jobs in there, so the total isn't going to be 8*40 hours but I really have no idea what number they're going to tell me (difficulty getting a running time total is a separate frustration) and I want to have some idea what other owners' experiences have been before then.

Thanks.

What was their estimate when they quoted the job?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, johncuyle said:

Thanks.

I have the MVP-50 and its install time was about 40 hours.  Top Gun, a Mooney Service Center, installed it and they have installed a number of them in about the same time.  Installation worked perfectly.  I have just upgraded to the new MVP-50 display and it is a big improvement in resolution over the previous model.  The upgrade cost was extremely reasonable at $1,499 for a whole new unit.

• Like 1

I agree 20-25h estimate EU quotes for CGR30P is too optimistic. I did the install myself on 67M20F and would estimate close to 40h with few extra hours by my IA for inspection and fuel hose fabrication.

Install is not difficult but it takes time to run and connect all the wires and sensors and you have 6 cylinders. I don't see why would JPI be easier, though. By far most time was spent removing existing instrument and cleaning up wires and hoses going through firewall.

I see you're in SEA area and I'm curious who's the shop AFIK there's no MSC in the town any more...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Following up:  Estimate, around 30 hours give or take (seemed totally reasonable, I have extras in my setup).  Actual:  About 25.  I guess they wanted it to be a (pleasant) surprise.  Workmanship is fantastic, too.  Command Aviation at KBLI.  My panel is the original and it's been hacked up so many times for avionics installs for prior owners and now me, it was really nice to have it come out with patches that look like the original materials and otherwise looking much better than it did when it went in.  The layout is great, everything seems to work fine, I shaved some weight, and I couldn't be more pleased than I am with either the CGR or the installation job.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, johncuyle said:

it was really nice to have it come out with patches that look like the original materials and otherwise looking much better than it did when it went in.  The layout is great, everything seems to work fine, I shaved some weight, and I couldn't be more pleased than I am with either the CGR or the installation job.

We need pictures

I installed a CGR30c with mechanics sign off, new Hendricks avionics panel, new circuit breakers and mixture control. Took roughly 20 hrs for cgr 30c. Main thing was needing a fitting or 2 that wasn’t the anticipated size on existing equipment. Pic is on first test flight, still had a few things left to do. 581decdb461d1425d38bd0c64af0aef4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1