FlyQ 4.0 thoughts

M016576

FlyQ 4.0 is in the queue for release and Seattle Avionics just presented a webinar explaining the new features.  

The principle feature of the upgrade is a social media style logbook, complete with data collection from Dynon or Avidyne panel mounts, a flight “heat map” and a way to see where your “friends” are flying.  

For those that use Strava (a running/cycling recording app) the webinar of the social logbook, looks and feels very similar.  Privacy settings exist- so you can restrict “the world” from viewing your flight profile- go fully private, or allow your “friends” to see you, but no one else (in case one has a fear of being stalked by the FAA though their FlyQ logs).

The CEO (Steve P) spent some time talking about digital logbook endorsements that a CFI can send to his/her student as well.  That got me thinking about how an interactive social media style logbook could be used as a learning tool and diagnostic capability for an instructor/student.  Not sure I am a true believer of all this social media stuff- but it seems unlike anything that the “other guys” are doing- and if it helps the GA community it would be worth it.

now, I guess I’m going to need some (FlyQ) friends to give this thing a real try....

heads up- their Black Friday sales are amazing- I bought the full lifetime subscription 5 years ago for $349.00... it’s more than paid for itself (last year they went for 399.00- still a screaming deal imo).  If one is interested, be aware they tend to only sell 50-100 lifetime subscriptions a year on a first come first serve basis.

If you are looking for a digital logbook, I have been using myflightbook.com since I began flying 2 1/2 years ago. It has options for instructors to sign it digitally, keeps track of currency, airports visited, routes, distances flown, etc... You can pull up analysis of flight times, landings, just about anything that you want to put into it. You can print it off, print off an 8710 form, start and stop flight times on the phone/tablet app, and best of all is that it's FREE.

It does not have the social media aspect, but I don't need that. If I want it I just post on my blog or FaceBook. The see where your friends are flying may have an appeal to some, but I can't think of where it would be useful to me. I'm not going to be looking and say "Hey, looks like Bob is flying around near xxxx, maybe I'll head out to the airport and try to meet up." 

3 hours ago, Skates97 said:

If you are looking for a digital logbook, I have been using myflightbook.com since I began flying 2 1/2 years ago. It has options for instructors to sign it digitally, keeps track of currency, airports visited, routes, distances flown, etc... You can pull up analysis of flight times, landings, just about anything that you want to put into it. You can print it off, print off an 8710 form, start and stop flight times on the phone/tablet app, and best of all is that it's FREE.

It does not have the social media aspect, but I don't need that. If I want it I just post on my blog or FaceBook. The see where your friends are flying may have an appeal to some, but I can't think of where it would be useful to me. I'm not going to be looking and say "Hey, looks like Bob is flying around near xxxx, maybe I'll head out to the airport and try to meet up." 

Keep a hard copy of your flight time logs. Years ago, in the early digital era, I kept all my flight experience with an online company. They went under and took all my flight info with them. Unfortunately, I did not keep a hard copy. Now I let ForeFlight keep a record but I also keep a hand written logbook as back up.

5 hours ago, L. Trotter said:

Keep a hard copy of your flight time logs. Years ago, in the early digital era, I kept all my flight experience with an online company. They went under and took all my flight info with them. Unfortunately, I did not keep a hard copy. Now I let ForeFlight keep a record but I also keep a hand written logbook as back up.

I back it up regularly as well as printing off new pages. If they go belly up the most I will lose is a month of flights which I can easily reconstruct from my notes on my knee board and EFB.