Mooney Mechanics Detroit Area

A_Eagle

Hello,

as I am inching closer to annual time for my 63 M20c I was wondering if there are any recommendations with regard to a good mechanic or shop in the SE Michigan area?

I would like to have the annual done at a different place than last year to have  a different set of eyes look over it. 

I am aware of the MSC in Lapeer, but it seems like they just changed owners and wasn’t able to see reviews for them yet. Any input/feedback would be great. The MSC in Grand Rapids quoted 4.5k just for the annual which is a No Go.

Any input would be great! Thanks in advance!

Ben Kooi was the former lead IA at Lapeer Aviation MSC. He left last year or so to be part of a Sling Aircraft dealer nearby. It’s called Midwest Sky Sports at Caro MI (KCFS). Ben is a Mooney guru without a doubt. If I recall correctly, he is a CFII too.

Google the name Midwest Sky Sports and you should find his web site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's maybe a bit further than you would want to go, but the M20Doc's MSC is at CYKF (Kitchener, Ontario), 1 hour by Mooney from the Detroit area. I doubt you could find a better person than Clarence to look after your aircraft, he does a great job for me.

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips!

I do know MWSS and Ben. My main issue is the driving time in case there is a need to go multiple times during the annual.

There is probably similar issue with a shop in CAN. Also: Are there any legal implications on having a Canadian shop do a annual according to FAA rules that one would have to be aware off?

9 hours ago, A_Eagle said:

Thanks for the tips!

I do know MWSS and Ben. My main issue is the driving time in case there is a need to go multiple times during the annual.

There is probably similar issue with a shop in CAN. Also: Are there any legal implications on having a Canadian shop do a annual according to FAA rules that one would have to be aware off?

The only real issue is that the IA who signs out US registered aircraft cost me $500 for the signature, however the difference in the Canadian and US dollar gives you about a 35% discount.

Clarence