G5 not coming on

xcrmckenna

Had my G5 installed in June. Been working flawlessly till today. Turned the master on this morning to work on a few things. The G5 booted up just like normal. Turned the power off did some work on nothing related to the G5. After about two hours turned the master power back on to check what I was working on, and noticed the G5 never came on.

The breaker wasn’t popped and the backup batter should turn the unit on even with the master off. After ten minutes of messing with it, it came on. I verified the back up battery was fully charged, and the back light was turned up all the way.

Turned the master off, did my preflight on the rest of the plane. Sat back down hit the master to start the engine, and again no G5.

After messing with it for another ten minutes it came on.

Has anyone had this problem? Being Sunday I haven’t made contact with my avionics guy or Garmin.

Seems like it’s the unit it’s self.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have not had that problem.  What I have noticed is that you need to be careful when turning off your master switch and observing the countdown on the G5s.  They don't always turn off after a countdown.  This is why I almost always hold the power switch to make sure its OFF.

I found this out after eating a 200 dollar hamburger and coming back to see my G5's on and the master off.  Good thing I was gone a short while.

Charles,
I had that once during my numerous startups during installation.  I forget exactly how we got it to start, I think try startinging it setup mode push the knob first, then the power button.

Don

Thanks Don,
I will give that a try in the morning.

Just curious...
Do you guys have your G5s wired to come on with Master switch or Avionics switch?

Mine comes on with the Master. I believe they are required to come on with the master but don’t quote me on that.

I had a similar problem once - I took the SD card I had sitting in it out and problem never returned. Might be worth checking to see if something’s in the card slot. 

Otherwise enable data logging, cross post to beechtalk and trek / Steve will respond pretty quickly.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 4:07 PM, Igor_U said:

Just curious...

Do you guys have your G5s wired to come on with Master switch or Avionics switch?

Heh, finally thought to check mine today and it comes on with the Avionics switch, not the Master.    My avionics shop was supposedly very anal about following the STC, etc., so who knows.

So I did the 5.7 software upgrade and both units rebooted ok.  On the next power up the HSI g5 failed to come on, tried 2 or 3 times.  Then powered on while holding the power button down and it came to life.  Can’t remember if it was setup mode or not. 

But it now it works.

• Like 1

So I did the 5.7 software upgrade and both units rebooted ok.  On the next power up the HSI g5 failed to come on, tried 2 or 3 times.  Then powered on while holding the power button down and it came to life.  Can’t remember if it was setup mode or not. 
But it now it works.

Where do I get the software updates? I’m running the 5.0

If you ever need updates for the Garmin systems, shoot me a message.  I will get any and all you need.  Just let me know.

Copy, thanks. I more need notification of an update. The one on my G5 at boot up says 5.0 and they are on 5.7 now. I downloaded the update but my first problem was the sims card was 256 gigs and it wouldn’t see it. Then I read the G5 supports up to 32gig sd cards. So got one and the G5 is still not seeing it. Not sure if it’s formatted correctly but that’s my next step.