don't text and fly?

flumag

I use on of the last North Atlantic flights for an test of two way satellite messengers. After my Spot interferes reproducible with my Garmin GPS’s (full signal lost during the transmission phase of the Spot -see pictures)  I was needing a alternative. (See posts in MS)  I also heard the same problem from other pilots that used the Spot and WAAS GPS together.

So I was testing an AirTextLT based on the MS recommendations for that flying and like to share with you some of my observations and experiences. Over all the installation was more than easy. Just plug it into the cigarette lighter and that's it. I was testing the small included Iridium antenna  but since I had a Iridium antenna in the plane I connected this for the longer flights. Over all the adapter cable that was included in the AirTextLT was very handy. My concern to maybe have the wrong BNC in was gone immediately. The AirText works with an app on your smartphone and supports iOS and Android. I was using iPhone and iPad’s. Very nice is that multiple (up to 6) phones can be used at the same time. so no problem for pilot and co and even the transport of heavy typing teens in the second row is not an issue. With a message price of 5ct thats not moving a lot money out of the window and a teenager transport is much smoother and easier to motivate. The airtext sends a message to all in favourite stored names at reaching 50knts that from now you are in the air and for communication should be the airtext number used. The same happens at landing (below 50knt) and you can get an easy and automated landing message out. The latest version of the app now also supports WhatsApp (limited to text messages) that makes it even easier and and also more practicable especially for foreign cell phone numbers. Receiving of a new message on the phone I also hear on my PMA450A that was connected to my phone. The communication over all all is very stable and I never had an issue to say if a message went out or if I’m connected and can receive messages. Especially on longer flights to manage  pickup or optimize the planning it seems very nice. Outside of the availability of ADS-B weather another feature I liked most. You could receive METAR, TAF’s and D-ATIS if available. this helps if you are more than 100 Nm available from your destination and you can’t track the weather. I did this on the way over from Greenland to Goose Bay and could track how the weather is getting worse and worse. This helps to mentally prepare for your alternate. In my case I was able to land at CYYR with the ceiling only some feet above the IFR minimum finally. Nice is that the old METARS are still there and you an track the development. I will attach a screenshot for a easier understanding. I used it on flights in the US , Canada, Greenland, Denmark, UK, Iceland and several countries in the EU. The AirTextLT has a annual minimum of $300 that includes already 500 messages. An additional text is 5ct. The device itself is bit pricey with almost $5000. So if you flying a lot or many times above FL80 it could be an good alternative and maybe also shared between multiple pilots since its very easy to port from one plane to the next. So if you communicating a lot or if you have changing passengers it could be a option.

Hendrik

IMG_4418 (1).PNG

spot-waas.jpg

Screenshot 2018-08-27 at 4.08.59 PM.png

Screenshot 2018-08-27 at 11.07.28.png

Screenshot 2018-08-27 at 09.59.32.png

IMG_7340 2.PNG

IMG_7240 2.PNG

IMG_7215 2.PNG

IMG_6236.JPG

IMG_7213 2.PNG

IMG_7658.PNG

IMG_0879.JPG

IMG_9023.JPG

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

You look happy to be on the ground!

I be curious of the reliability using it’s own antenna.

this was more the happiness for the upcoming steak (see image) after total flying of 1400Nm this day directly from BIRK over BGBW.

I flew 2 legs fully on the own antenna. I could not really notice a difference in signal strength or reliability compared  to the aircraft iridium antenna.  I was having the own antenna directly behind the windscreen in the most forward corner in the middle of the dashboard. It had a small suction head to hold it on the windscreen. I was just using the external antenna more since its on cable less on the dashboard.

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_5818.JPG

• Like 3

4 hours ago, flumag said:

this was more the happiness for the upcoming steak (see image) after total flying of 1400Nm this day directly from BIRK over BGBW.

IMG_5818.JPG

I really like a good, rare steak, but these need a couple minutes by the fire!

• Haha 5