Chris Dupin

I’m sad to report that Chris “Hook” Dupin was killed in a GA crash today. Hook was a MAPA Mooney instructor and USAF Test Pilot School graduate stationed at Eglin Air Force Base, and had a flight training business. I don’t have any details, just received a text from a friend. God rest his soul.

With great sadness,

Rick

• Sad 2

The latest details I've seen on Hook's mishap. He had just purchased the RV-12 in May and was conducting a stage check for one of his partner's students. Loss of engine power on takeoff was reported.

https://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20181119/victims-identified-in-niceville-plane-crash-photos

Until my very recent move, I lived about 3/4 of a mile from that strip.  I would have never flown my Mooney out of it, although there was one regularly tied down there.

There are no good options for engine out locations until you have enough altitude to make the golf course nearby.  The whole thing is surrounded by 50 foot trees.

I know another instructor that bases out of there as well, but flys with his students at a nearby paved airport.