New Panel - Aspen 2000 (goodbye vacuum system)

byrdflyr

Just now, teejayevans said:

I’ve read that if running out of fuel or otherwise there is a fuel problem, first indicator is fuel pressure fluctuate. Might be helpful if running a tank to empty.
I wonder if a clogged fuel injector would cause fuel pressure to increase?

I've run my each of my tanks dry several times. The MP starts to fluctuate, immediately followed by the engine quitting. Reach down, switch tanks, and it comes right back to life. If I'm up in the flight levels, I'll activate the low, or high boost, depending on altitude. 

I've just never seen the need for FP. The plane was certified without it, and I haven't found a reason to need it.

Just my $0.02

10 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

I wonder if a clogged fuel injector would cause fuel pressure to increase?

Unfortunately, Fuel Flow blocked in one FI, redistributes and comes out the other three or five... not registering on the FP gauge...

The movement and shape of the peak EGT on the one cylinder is the only clue of a FI blockage...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 1:58 PM, carusoam said:

For the IO550, they use FF as a sign that the fuelP is there..

No FuelP, no FF....

I would still like the extra data point...

Best regards,

-a-

The fuel pressure actually follows the FF pretty close. Leaned out at 20 lop the 12 to 13 gph corresponds to 11 to 12 psi at the web. Not really that useful IMO. You could compare and might be able to spot a leak or clog but with the extra hose heat soaked above the engine it might just be another point of failure. 

• Like 1

For all those waiting for the max upgrade it looks like late first quarter now. Also sounds like Aspen is planning on mostly a fast turnaround upgrade (one week) to the units not a preshipped exchange. If they do implement the exchange there might be an additional charge on top of the upgrade price. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 10:50 AM, gsxrpilot said:

Nope they’ve never had them. The fuel system including pumps are completely different from the Lycomings and fuel pressure isn’t a concern.

We don’t use fuel pumps for takeoff either. We’ve got low boost and high boost but they’re only used in specific situations.

On 11/18/2018 at 7:09 PM, Cruiser said:

This is a statement on the new MAX page and applies to current units that can be upgraded. The current units are not MAX units. They can be sent back for upgrades.

The second statement does not mean you can remove the AI on the current units. The new MAX units will require a GPS data input which allows the removal. Current units still need a backup.

MAX units are NOT CERTIFIED yet. They are not available yet. They are expected early next year.

On 11/20/2018 at 10:50 AM, gsxrpilot said:

Nope they’ve never had them. The fuel system including pumps are completely different from the Lycomings and fuel pressure isn’t a concern.

We don’t use fuel pumps for takeoff either. We’ve got low boost and high boost but they’re only used in specific situations.

You are absolutely correct.  Just spoke to James Puck at Aspen.  The MAX units will not be certified until some time in 1st half of 2019, so I will need to retain the AI and vacuum system for now. 

• Like 1