Transition Training N59FM

KLRDMD

The last couple of days I've been doing transition training for a pilot that just purchased an Ovation. He had 175 hours in a 172 before we started yesterday and the Ovation is the first airplane he's owned. As we taxied out for the first time he kept saying "I can't believe I'm taxiing my own airplane", then right after the first takeoff he kept saying "I can't believe I'm flying my own airplane". We'll have 20 hours together to get him up to speed but his first two landings yesterday were perfect greasers. The first two today were too but the last one each day wasn't as good, I think he was getting overloaded and fatigued.

Coming back to Tucson today the tower told us we were overtaking a Lear jet by 30 knots. Then a few seconds later they told us we were now overtaking the Lear by 40-50 knots. I don't think I've ever seen a bigger smile on a Mooney pilot's face.

LiveATC recording attached for your listening pleasure.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

Any tale winds with that...?

Can’t believe I’m flying faster than 200kts.... plasters another giant smile across one’s face!

It is hard to believe, yet possible with your own Mooney!

Go O!

No sigificant tailwind but we were in a descent at a fairly high power setting.

• Like 1

Just now, Igor_U said:

Any reasons for flying 20h for transition? Insurance requirement, pilot's request, your estimate? I've got my complex endorsement and checkout on M20J and it took less then 5 hours.

Insurance requirement. He had 175 hours, all in 172s. He doesn't have an instrument rating. He'll need high performance and complex endorsements and needs to learn to fly an airplane that much more capable than he's ever flown before. Based on the 3.7 hours we've flown in the last two days I'm guessing he'll be ready around 15 hours. If so, we'll take a nice flight to LA or something to get the last hours in.

• Like 1

Transition Training in an O, is a blast!

Cognitive overload happens frequently with so many new systems to absorb and to take care of at an elevated pace... you really know you are a human being when this happens!

My TT was about three days long and included a long XC home... local operations, performance operations, E-operations, IFR and IMC...

Ran into a small challenge when the airport got shut-down where we stopped for lunch... unfortunate choice...

Its amazing how a brain can get filled up... and stop progressing... get good rest at night, come back refreshed the next day and fill the brain again... repeat...

I had 1,000 M20C hours to begin with.  Plenty of knowledge regarding Mooney Ops, just needed to fill the slightly larger, but empty, experience bucket... the first day was hard!

Weeks before, I had just finished my IFR training in C172s... re-learning to fly a C172 takes about an hour.... going about 10kts slower in the pattern makes things 10X easier...

Think about that when approaching 10kias too quickly in your Mooney...

All the best to our new O owner!  Hope he can join us at MS!

Best regards,

-a-