Why do they let them sit unflown

rainman

30 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

Nope! Flying is way down, even with a good economy. Why would someone spend the money to become a pilot today and not have a goal of owning part or all of an airplane? Renting isn’t cheap either. 

Yep.  Flying GA is way down- absolutely... and perhaps you are referring only to GA pilots... but I personally know 30-40 expert instructor pilots that would all love to own their own aircraft.  They just can’t afford it.  The irony of aviation is that to become a professional pilot (someone paid to fly) somewhat removes one from the capability to own/afford their own aircraft... they have to fly other people’s planes.

Of course their are exceptions- but if the cost of GA was about 50% of what it is right now, I think about half of the guys I fly with would be flying GA, as well as their full time flying in the military.  

When I reread your statement “Why would someone spend the money to become a pilot today and not have a goal of owning part or all of an airplane?” It clear to me that you are not referring to professional pilots- but private pilots.  If GA could get the price down, you’d have a very healthy pilot base ready to fly.  Sadly, though, I don’t think that will ever happen- the economies of scale were abandoned in GA along time ago.