Historic pilot requirements

RobertGary1

Curious if anyone knows if there exists a copy of some of the old FAA requirements for certificates. I believe before the PTS there was the PTG but I've never been able to find a copy of one. Would be interesting to see what was required for private/com/CFI in the 60's for example.

-Robert

A historic record of all the annual FAR books would hold the key...I kept the new book next to all the old books... every year.

There is probably a change record of the changes in each volume. Minimizing the amount of reading the same detail year after year...

From a history point of view, send this question to AOPA...  that would give their legal department an interesting way to write a page of important changes through the years....

Some of the changes were how to comply with the rule, as much as the rule itself...

Best regards,

-a-

I matriculated through those certificates in the early ‘60’s but I won’t try to recite the details without digging out the old flight test guides. Basically 40 hrs for private, 200 hrs for commercial and CFI. No night required for private. Cross country requirement a bit different for private.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BDPetersen said:

I matriculated through those certificates in the early ‘60’s but I won’t try to recite the details without digging out the old flight test guides. Basically 40 hrs for private, 200 hrs for commercial and CFI. No night required for private. Cross country requirement a bit different for private.

Were the maneuvers similar? Do you think the requirements have progressively gotten easier/harder/about the same?

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1

Digging out my copy of 1963 FAR’s (CAR’s prior to that)(this must be why I don’t throw stuff away) . . .

The maneuvers aren’t so very different. The recent dumbing down of stall recovery being an exception. (Stall recognition was to be done without the  aid of a stall warning device, for instance.)  Instrument training and proficiency were required but minimal. ( The aircraft need only have a turn needle.) My biggest heart ache is in the cross country requirements. Back then there was a required solo xc leg of 100 miles. As it is now, one could be certified having only flown 50 miles at a time, practically seeing the destination soon after departure. I could do without the night xc that is now required.

Long gone from the ATP ( we called it ATR back then. R for rating) is the beloved canyon approach. What fun is left? 

• Thanks 1