Need a new fuel pump?

I've been having an issue where I think I have a "dead spot" on my fuel pump. Occasionally my pump won't turn on and it'll take a few tries. An A&P cave the pilot side of the cowl a bump where the pump is and it started running, suspected there was a dead spot and recommended replacing. Is this a reason to replace? Any other options. If I need to replace, the quote I got was an appx $1050 CJ aviation overhaul of my pump vs $1300-something for an overhauled pump, $1500-something for a new pump. Aircraft spruce has plenty of cheaper fuel pumps but I'm having trouble finding exactly which pumps would be compatible with my '65 M20C. Any thoughts on this?

1 minute ago, BrettKS said:

Is this done by empirically replacing the switch? Or a multimeter to test for continuity?

The switch should also be the circuit breaker, I would check voltage and resistance at both the switch and pump 

• Like 1

Aeromotors (mentioned above)  turned my pump in 3 days.  I have not installed yet, so I have no feedback on the OH.  $450 to OH the Dukes pump in my F model.  Things to know going int an Aeromotors overhaul. Make sure to provide a return shipping label and check in the inbound package.  I forgot to include a check and it slowed down my pump's return.  If the pump turns out to be as good as they say, then it will be well worth dealing with the company's archaic methods for shipping, handling and payment.   I asked the office manager if I could make any other form of payment (wire, venmo, PayPal or any  major CC. She made it clear that all those methods were just too risky and they would only take an out of state personal check.:blink:  

Edited by Shadrach
  • Haha 1

Brett,

got any details about the pump you can share?

Which one is it?

How many years old is it?

How many hours on the airframe related to it?

I believe It is a simple 12v motor with a vane type pump on the end...

Oddly, Some fuel pumps are not approved for continuous running.  This may give a hint to how they may wear... over time.

Have your mechanic....

Supply the pump with a temporary wire for power... does it turn on? This would eliminate the switch, CB, wiring from the equation...

If it behaves the same with temporary power...

Consider cleaning the pump to see what falls out of it...

Once it is out of the airframe....  If the pump is 50years old, you may be spending more on problem solving then it is worth...

For comparison, some newer Mooneys use a fuel pump controller that can fail.  A pump failure might actually be a controller that has gone bad...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

3 hours ago, Freemasm said:

+1 for checking rocker breaker first. Probably an old Klixon. They get sloppy and finally die. Close then jiggle it, then maybe jumper across it before you spend any money on pumps/motors. Secondly, when those fragile pumps fail, they are done. They don't come back with a "bump". Commutators on those old (probably Dukes) motors go bad. Look at these guys for pump overhaul if required.

http://www.aeromotorsllc.com/aeromotorsllc/default.aspx

Best of luck

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/pbcircuitbrkr2.php?clickkey=44598

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/pbrocktbrkr.php?clickkey=44598

Would either of these work?

One is not resettable after over load?

The other isn’t the same form factor and won’t fit?

What happened to the klixon recommendation?

Involve your mechanic when guessing will cost extra... :)

Find the exact part number/manufacturer.  AircraftSpruce will have it...

If you can’t find the part number buy through a reliable resource like Lasar...

Get access to the bus bar.  It is really easy when the avionics panels are removed...

Get a pic using your smart phone, for planning purposes.

Often part numbers get modernized, and ‘like-for-like’ parts are available... they do the same thing the same way, but are more modern materials or a different manufacturer....

Don’t accidently get something that fits, but doesn’t work the same...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

3 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

Smart ass answer... "Nope, just get out and bump it when you need to use the fuel pump!"

That doesn’t do very much for passenger  confidence. I think it would be better to just stomp the floor really hard while complaining that your leg is asleep. No one would be the wiser... 

47 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Dukes and Weldon are the typical pumps resident in a Mooney...

Facet... more about them here...

https://www.facet-purolator.com/markets/

Best regards,

-a-

Some of the early C and D models had Facet pumps.

You can buy a Facet pump for less than $100. The exact same pump with an FAA/PMA sticker costs $500.

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update: I started to experience the problem again and played around with the switch. Turns out if I apply pressure to the switch in a certain way the pump comes on! I think that confirms that the switch is at least part of the (hopefully the entire) issue. I'll replace it and go from there. Thanks for the suggestions and glad I didn't put out >$1k to overhaul a working pump!

• Like 1