Whelen flash tube on back-order

WHELEN W5502211 PYREX STRB TUB

Looks like I scored the last one from aircraft spruce. Both CA and GA locations are saying they'll have some by Christmas... Lucky me. Anyone have or know of another one in stock? Seems the one bulb I replaced is not playing nice with the other old tube that's drawing all the power.  

Also correct me if I'm wrong, my 1965 plane is legal to fly day VFR still? 

Edited by J0nathan225
I don't spell or type good, made edits.

1 hour ago, J0nathan225 said:

WHELEN W5502211 PYREX STRB TUB

Looks like I scored the last one from aircraft spruce. Both CA and GA locations are saying they'll have some by Christmas... Lucky me. Anyone have or know of another one in stock? Seems the one bulb I replaced is not playing nice with the other old tube that's drawing all the power.  

Also correct me if I'm wrong, my 1965 plane is legal to fly day VFR still? 

Strobes are not required for anything.

I should add I have no beacon or anti-collision light, besides the strobes. Just my landing light and position lights. The  a tomato flames   comes to mind, but after some research I saw:  "A – anti collision lights (for aircraft certified after March 11th 1996)" so I've labeled the strobe/anti collision INOP and assume I'm good for the day VFR flights with my legacy aircraft.  

According to CFR Part 91.209(b) No person may: Operate an aircraft that is equipped with an anticollision light system, unless it has lighted anticollision lights. However, the anticollision lights need not be lighted when the pilot-in-command determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to turn the lights off.

According to the link provided by @N201MKTurbo, you are NOT legal for flight without a waiver.

Agree with the chance of getting busted.  I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to turn on the strobes during the day and no one has ever said a word.  In fact, my instructor didn't have me turn the strobes during the day at all.  Pretty sure he was under the assumption that the strobes went on when the position lights went on.

Strobes weren’t available until after many of our planes were built... a decade after the OP’s plane was built...

lots of lighting rules changes followed, lots of grandfathering included...

Whelen has a page for who needs what, and why.....

The strobe should be on its own switch... taxiing with the strobe on is tough on other pilots... taxiing with no lights on isn’t very sensible...

The red beacon is the anti-collision light of record. For a 1965 GA plane...

Strobes are good to have, but probably not required to have...

PP thoughts only, check the facts to be sure...

Best regards,

-a-

The problem is that they are installed.  Our airplanes were certified under CAR 3, and anti-collision light systems ain't mentioned nowhere in that document.  But under current regulations:

----------------------------

" aircraft equipped with

an anti−collision light system are required to operate

that light system during all types of operations (day

and night)."

----------------------------

So, stupidly enough, if you removed the system, you would be legal for day operations.  

You could consider plugging the inoperative bulb back in and fly the airplane during the day, then plead ignorance of the burned out bulb in the extremely remote chance that someone would say something.