Curious TFR at 0O4

bonal

Looking on Foreflight for sky/smoke conditions near WLW I see the expected TFR around the fire in Butte county. What is unusual is an upcoming TFR that connects 0O4 to the existing one for the fire area which is a typical restriction . It starts tonight and only lasts one day. I'm thinking perhaps a presidential visit to the site but 0O4 is a tiny field and with Chico closer to the fire and much more suitable for such an operation what could possibly be going on there. The TFR sites criminal prosecution up to and including interception and being shot down. Never seen that in a normal fire fighting TFR.

They've had similarly-shaped TFRs between 0O4 and the northwest corner of the Camp Fire TFR during the last week, and I see upcoming TFRs for the next three days. The title of the TFRs mentions ARNG, which suggests the Army National Guard may be operating aircraft in support of the firefighting efforts out of Corning. The timing and altitude of the TFRs is a bit weird though, 8pm to 5am from 10,000 to 13,000ft. Perhaps they're assisting with IR mapping of the fire area?

• Like 1

Would be interesting to orbit just outside the area and see what transpires. Of course with the heavy smoke you would not be able to see. I wonder what would happen if you chose to drive to the airport. I don't know if it's included in the mandatory evacuation. I'll have to check cal fires web site.

57 minutes ago, bonal said:

Just by starting this thread I'm half expecting a bunch of black suv's to pull up to my house.:wacko:

Let us know if you get an alien probe from the UFO crew or a full body-cavity search from the Feds.  Either way, good luck.