Fuel leak

skyking1

Got a pic?

Is it at an access panel?

Access panels on the top of the wing are the most susceptible to leaking.

The ones that are under foot are more at risk.

Removing, cleaning, and resealing access panels are the most easy fuel leaks to take care of...

Best regards,

-a-

It is often one of the four screws at the end of the support brackets. They don't have quite as much sealing surface as the cover screws. You can usually do a quick fix by removing the screw, coating it with tank sealer or Permatex, and put it back in. Just be careful when taking the screw out and back in, so you don't push the nut plate down breaking the sealant between the support and the top of the tank.

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

You can usually do a quick fix by removing the screw, coating it with tank sealer or Permatex, and put it back in.

I did this on my K about 6 months ago.  Worked great and took less than 10min.

Cheers,

Dan

I have the same issue on a 2000 Ovation.  Evidentally, its been an issue in the past because there are entries for patching it in the logs.  It only leaks a little if I fill the tanks all the way - so I just don't do that unless I'm headed out on a long trip and then I use that tank first. 

You don't say where on the wingwalk the stain is appearing, but if it is on the inboard edge (and no trace on the outboard edge), then you will probably have to remove the wingwalk to get access.

To do that, you will likely need a good quantity (a quart or so) of MEK or similar, and some sort of squeeze bottle, and a plastic scraper that tolerates MEK. If you have TKS, spend time to make sure you fully (and maybe double!) protect the near panel(s) as MEK will destroy them

Of course you'll need replacement material too - mine is https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/3mwingwalk_blk24.php?clickkey=90657

My leak turned out to be a single screw on the reinforcing bracket for the panel under the wingwalk: removal of that screw, a dob or PR and replacement (new!) screw sorted that one out

• Like 1

After sealing the screw . . . On a couple Mooneys that I had I used a heat gun and then Goo Gone and a plastic scraper to get up the old wing walk and adhesive residue. Then I used  Koffler Anti Skid for the wing walk. It is less expensive and a better product than 3M. 

https://www.kofflersales.com/p/anti-slip-abrasive-tape.asp

I used the custom length option and 24" width. I bought 6 feet..

403506562_ScreenShot2018-11-17at7_55_56AM.thumb.png.a730597cc45c948ce17489eabb64e188.png

Before taking off the old wing walk I used poster board and traced a template so I could use it to mark and cut the new wing walk material. This stuff sticks amazingly well so it's helpful to have a second person to hang on to the other end it as you are applying it. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/15/2018 at 8:17 AM, N201MKTurbo said:

It is often one of the four screws at the end of the support brackets. They don't have quite as much sealing surface as the cover screws. You can usually do a quick fix by removing the screw, coating it with tank sealer or Permatex, and put it back in. Just be careful when taking the screw out and back in, so you don't push the nut plate down breaking the sealant between the support and the top of the tank.

sorry for the necro...but this quote may be the answer to my question!

I have a leak under the wing walk, a screw near the front...see the picture. Does this look like the "cracked nut plate" that Don Maxwell mentions on his website?

Robert

Tank leak Jan 2019.JPG

31 minutes ago, Robert C. said:

sorry for the necro...but this quote may be the answer to my question!

I have a leak under the wing walk, a screw near the front...see the picture. Does this look like the "cracked nut plate" that Don Maxwell mentions on his website?

Robert

Tank leak Jan 2019.JPG

Hard to say without taking the cover off. It doesn't matter, do what I said above. to keep from cracking the nutplate, twirl a small drill bit in the hole before you put the screw back in. You will be trying to get any sealer out of the nut plate. do it until you see a metallic glint in the bottom of the hole.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:02 AM, LANCECASPER said:

After sealing the screw . . . On a couple Mooneys that I had I used a heat gun and then Goo Gone and a plastic scraper to get up the old wing walk and adhesive residue. Then I used  Koffler Anti Skid for the wing walk. It is less expensive and a better product than 3M. 

https://www.kofflersales.com/p/anti-slip-abrasive-tape.asp

I used the custom length option and 24" width. I bought 6 feet..

403506562_ScreenShot2018-11-17at7_55_56AM.thumb.png.a730597cc45c948ce17489eabb64e188.png

Before taking off the old wing walk I used poster board and traced a template so I could use it to mark and cut the new wing walk material. This stuff sticks amazingly well so it's helpful to have a second person to hang on to the other end it as you are applying it. 

Don't ever buy Goo Gone. It is just Xylene. You can buy Xylene at the Home Depot for 1/4 the price.

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2019 at 5:07 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

Don't ever buy Goo Gone. It is just Xylene. You can buy Xylene at the Home Depot for 1/4 the price.

I think Goo Gone is actually a much less flammable mixture of petroleum distillates and d-limonene (orange oil). I’m sure xylene would work, but it is a flammable liquid, so take appropriate precautions if using it.

23 hours ago, MinneMooney said:

I think Goo Gone is actually a much less flammable mixture of petroleum distillates and d-limonene (orange oil). I’m sure xylene would work, but it is a flammable liquid, so take appropriate precautions if using it.

You are correct, I checked the SDS. 

I used to work with both xylene and limonene at the same time working on tissue processors trying to come up with a less toxic process. I must have got my smells backward.

On 3/30/2019 at 8:03 AM, MinneMooney said:

I wa actually thinking about Goof Off. It acetone, xylene, benzene and methanol.